Chapter 3: The Temple

From the moment she set foot on the foreign planet, Indaria Flare was bombarded with foreign sights and sounds. On Mandalore, they spoke Basic and Mando'a. Given her upbringing, in the Lower city, nowhere near the spaceport where the foreigners would stay, she'd not heard any other language. The strange noises were fascinating. With wide eyes, she looked at all the people, the different species and ships, and strained her ears to hear the many languages.

She eagerly listened to these new sounds as she trailed silently behind Satine. The Duchess had ordered her to stay close until they reached her apartments where Indaria would stay before their meeting with the Jedi. The girl had agreed readily, although at the time she hadn't realized what a challenge that would be. She wanted to stop and hear everything. Look at everyone. She wanted to know what they did. Who they were. What they were saying.

She might not know what to expect in this new place and of these new people, but she was amazed by them, and with each minute her lingering fear dissipated. Indaria Flare had an adventurous heart and curious nature that had been stifled due to her circumstances on Mandalore. Now that she was here, perhaps she'd be able to ask the questions she'd always squelched down. Th galaxies were vast, so it was possible that the Jedi would not have heard the stories of the shameful Flares. If that were the case, then she would be just another student. Maybe, just maybe, she wouldn't have to hide anymore.

Is that why Buir let her go? Indaria wondered with the stirrings of revelation and understanding. Did her mother send her off to another planet so that she wouldn't have that burden? So that she wouldn't be running from the people who bullied her?

When she was being sent away, Indaria had barely registered her mother's words. She hadn't realized all that leaving Mandalore would mean beyond leaving her mother. Beyond the possibility of becoming Jedi. It was only now that the six-year-old began to appreciate what her mother had done for her. She'd given her the opportunity for an entirely new life.

Keeping step right behind the Duchess, despite her urges to linger, Indaria followed the older woman through the Spaceport which is where the Senate landed their diplomatic vessels. She held tightly to the bundle of clothing and the beskar armbands. Indaria hadn't been able to bring herself to examine them since they'd been wrapped up by Mother. Still, she knew she would in the years to come, as they would be the only real connection, she had to the identity she'd had for the last six years.

"Thank you, Consort Organa," Satine told one of the elaborately dressed men who'd come to meet their ship. "I would like to accompany you to meet Senator Antilles, if you'll give me one moment to make a few arrangements."

It was only then that Indaria turned her attention back to Satine. The man who'd she'd addressed as Consort Organa was quite handsome and young. She thought he might be in his early to mid-twenties. He was human with warm skin and pitch-black hair. He had a neatly trimmed beard and carried himself with the air of an aristocrat. His clothes were finely made with elaborate detailing and his purple cape made him look even more distinguished. Indaria had never seen anyone like him.

"Of course, Duchess," the handsome man agreed instantly with a smile and a bow. Raising his head, he caught her curious gaze and sent her a warm smile and mischievous wink, causing Indaria to blush and look away.

Once the Duchess had finished addressing other members of her party, including a few that Indaria now knew were a part of the elected Council of Mandalore, the woman turned to her with a warm smile.

"You will go with Nika, and she will relay you to my apartment. The Senate has decided to meet on this particular matter ahead of schedule and I am urgently needed."

"Yes, Duchess," Indaria agreed with a small grin of appreciation.

Over the course of their travels, they'd become quite fond of each other, both absurdly outspoken. Satine had explained to Indaria aspects of the galaxy that Indaria had never before considered. Satine had explained how the planets depended on each other. How the goal of the Republic was to co-exist peacefully and ensure that none got too powerful so that others would be repressed. How she was not only there to attend meetings with the Senate but to meet with other politicians on neutral ground to discuss possible trade agreements to bring new commerce to Mandalore.