Sweet Memories of you

**Trigger Warning: Cancer, pain, grief**

Although this is set in the Arcane universe you do not need to be familiar with the fandom to appreciate it.

————————

The scent of fresh paint hangs heavy in the air. Vi's roller splashes tiny droplets into her hair, then throws one large splatter along her eyebrow making her flinch and blink in surprise.

"Aw shit," She tries to whisper her indignation wiping her arm along her face.

"Everything alright?!" Caitlyn calls from the other room. A smirk clearly audible on her face.

"Yup, don't you dare come in here!" Vi smiles wide.

The sounds of Caitlyn's footsteps move closer. Vi drops her roller into the pan and jumps to slam the door shut locking the handle with a satisfying click before Cait can reach for it.

"Is this really necessary?" Caitlyn huffs through the closed door.

"Uh yeah, you're not supposed to breathe in all these fumes, you heard the doc!"

"You are far too protective darling."

"And you love it." Vi folds her arms leaning back against the white door, her sly smile glowing in the early morning sunlight coming in through the east facing window.

"Well not right now, I want to see!"

"No way! Not till it's finished. Now get!" Vi tries to order her boss around, which rarely if ever works, but Caitlyn decides this is a fight she simply will not win, and she doesn't really want to. She shakes her head and wanders back down the hall. Settles into the soft armchair at the bay windows with a good book, a warm tea, and a fluffy blanket trying to distract herself for the remainder of the long day of waiting.

Later that evening Vi stands up stretching her back and popping her neck side to side. She beams with pride looking at her handy work, putting down the drill onto the table. She removes the white towel from her back pocket and wipes the sweat from her brow. More than a little parched she downs another full glass of water, yet her throat still feels dry. She cleared it before turning around to yell out into the halls.

"Babe, It's ready! Come and see this!" Vi calls. She clears her still very dry throat again and slings the damp towel onto her bare left shoulder. She simply does not believe in sleeves, never has never will.

Caitlyn slams her book shut and comes as fast as her feet will carry her, far to excited and full of anticipation. But she proceeds to stop dead in her tracks at the doorway, her mouth drops and eyes stare in awe three times their normal size.

"Oh Violet!" She gasps. She clasps a hand over her mouth and enters the room slowly. The now powder blue room glows softly with the light from the corner lamp illuminating every detail, their new rocking chair and crib both painted in soft grey brushstrokes, set up along the far wall. Little stars and trinkets hang from the ceiling. A small bookshelf with a few new children's books sits under the window. The sight warms her heart and sends little tingles up her back.

"Worth the wait?" Vi slides in behind Caitlyn placing her head onto her shoulder, she laces her fingers around Cait's middle resting them gently along her stomach.

"It's perfect!" Caitlyn exhales with a heavy breath. She turns slowly, staying within Vi's warm embrace while throwing her arms around Violet's neck pulling her wife into a searing kiss.

"You're going to be the best Mom."

Vi shakes her head with a wide grin, "Hmm, I know you will be Cupcake. I'll just try my best." She sways them back and forth as if dancing to music only they can hear.