Prologue

In the hazy aftermath of the apocalypse, where the world lay in ruins, Cassie Sulivan found herself navigating a landscape both hauntingly beautiful and perilously dangerous. The end of civilization had not come with a bang or a whimper, but rather with a slow, creeping inevitability, like a shadow inching ever closer until it consumed everything in its path.

Some had predicted the end would come in a blaze of fire, others in a suffocating embrace of ice. But as the dust settled and the echoes of humanity's demise faded into the silence, it was not the elements that claimed victory, but something far more sinister—the dead rising from their eternal slumber.

Yet, amidst the chaos and decay, there was an eerie tranquility that hung in the air like a shroud. The chirping of birds and the chirring of crickets provided a haunting soundtrack to the desolation, punctuated only by the occasional shuffle of the infected as they roamed the wasteland in search of their next victim.

For Cassie, once a woman of ordinary aspirations and dreams, the world as she knew it had crumbled around her. She had lost everything—her home, her loved ones, her sense of security—all consumed by the relentless tide of destruction that had swept across the land.

Her husband, Mark, had been the first to fall, torn apart by ravenous hands as she watched helplessly, the memory of his screams forever etched into her mind. Then came the loss of her twin sister, Carol, and her beloved niece, Sophia, swallowed up by the merciless jaws of fate.In the midst of her grief and despair, Cassie found herself grappling with feelings of guilt and remorse. She had survived while others perished, her own survival a testament to the brutal pragmatism that had become necessary in this new world order. Multiple times she had fled, abandoning groups to their fate in a desperate bid to stay one step ahead of the encroaching darkness.

And yet, amidst the heartache and the horror, there remained one small glimmer of hope—a reason to keep fighting, to keep moving forward. Her toddler son, Mark Jr., clung to her side, his innocent eyes a reminder of all that was worth preserving in this shattered world.Together, mother and son forged ahead, navigating the treacherous landscape with a mixture of fear and determination. Each day brought new challenges, new dangers to overcome, but they pressed on, driven by an unshakeable resolve to survive against all odds.

For Cassie Sulivan, the end of the world had not spelled the end of her story. It was merely the beginning of a new chapter—one defined by loss and hardship, but also by courage, resilience, and the enduring power of love in the face of unimaginable darkness.

---

rewriting, hope y'all don't mind