A Message from the People

Zar peered through the window into the palace's massive kitchen. He cupped his hands around his head to see past the glare. No one was inside. He cracked open the door as quiet as he could and slipped inside, carefully closing it behind him. He wasn't supposed to be running amok in the town with an assassin on the loose, but he'd taken his chances. He just didn't want a reprimand this early in the morning.

"Did you have a nice walk?" Kiera said, suddenly appearing behind him. Zar whirled around startled to her. He had sworn he had gotten through the door without anyone seeing. Kiera leaned against the kitchen island with a cup of tea at her lips. She had been waiting for him. She knew he'd snuck out.

"Er, yes," he fumbled. "The. . . palace grounds were very refreshing."

Kiera raised an accusing eyebrow. She scanned his person. "In your old traveling clothes?" Zar opened his mouth to make an excuse, but he couldn't find one.

Kiera's expression softened into a smile. "I used to sneak out too, escape for a moment," she whispered. "You missed breakfast, by the way." They walked together down the vaulted corridor.

"I haven't really had an appetite in the mornings, anyways," Zar said. "I suppose getting stabbed in the stomach has that effect."

Kiera rolled her eyes. "Oh, please stop milking it. It's gotten so old."

Zar laughed. "Sorry, you used to sneak out?"

She shrugged. "Between arranged marriages and listening to old men discussing issues, I'm surprised I haven't run away to live in the woods yet."

"Well, as someone who has lived in the woods, you learn to appreciate having a roof over your head."

"But what if the roof over your head requires your mouth sewn shut?"

Furze emerged from the grand library with a large green book tucked under his arm. He spotted the couple and walked to them. "Good morning."

Zar nodded toward him. "Morning, Furze. What new adventures has the library brought you?"

Furze held up his book. "I've found a fascinating text on botany, and I'm inspired to cultivate my own garden."

"The greenhouse is out the west door and to your left a few minutes' walk." Kiera pointed in the direction. "If you get lost, you can always ask a guard."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. Zar." Furze bowed and plodded down the corridor.

"How is it," Kiera said when he was out of earshot, "That you have the uncanny ability to befriend such strange people?"

"I just. . . do. I don't find it too hard," said Zar. "Most people are decently friendly."

The window above Zar's head shattered as a brick hurtled through it. He ducked and protectively held Kiera against the wall. The brick clunked against the wall, putting a dent in the wall, and tumbled to a stop on the plush carpet. On the long side, the explicit words were written in blocky charcoal: A MESSAGE FROM THE PEOPLE- KEEP THE COWARD OUT.

After the initial shock had gone away, Zar awkwardly released the princess. The entire stained window was destroyed. Colorful, jagged shards of glass stuck out of the floor.

"Do they know that?" breathed Kiera.

~ ~ ~

"Outrageous!" exclaimed King Invictus, pounding a fist into the table, "Insubordinates! Criminals! Destroying my home and threatening my heir!"

"Sir, I understand why they do this," Zar consoled, "They don't want an exiled king to rule. I surrendered my army to an enemy, and I know that they don't want a coward for a king."

"Silence boy!" the king snapped. Zar promptly shut up and sat down.

Invictus inhaled deeply to calm himself. "You are not a coward; you never were. There are some in this kingdom who want to express their opinion, and I say let them. I only retaliate because their actions lead to destruction of the peace.

"That window was crafted by a famous glazier when the palace was built. God knows how valuable it was."

Zar fiddled with a cup on the table. "Sir, if I can be of any help to calm the mob, I'm ready and willing to. I could address them or-"

"No, no-" The king put a hand up- "I don't think that's necessary yet." He rose from the long table and Zar stood with him. "I believe a peace summit is long overdue. I will consult the other monarchs of the land tomorrow and handle it. You should be getting yourself ready for the ball this fortnight."

King Invictus and his advisors left the grand hall in a silent procession. Kiera, Kindle, and Agus emerged from a hidden door in the wall.

Of course, they had been listening to the entire conversation. After King Invictus and his entourage were gone, they went down the opposite way down the corridor to the dining hall.

"A peace summit?" said Agus, "How will that help?"

"His Majesty hasn't had to deal with rebellion in years," Kiera explained, "The people have never known poverty. There are a lot of other kingdoms that would wage wars to have our land. With tension rising, those rulers would take advantage of the disharmony."

Everything was already going downhill. The people hated him. Enemy kingdoms wanted him dead. He had the weight and expectation to carry on Invictus' legacy on his shoulders. It pitted a knot in his stomach to think about.

"What are we having for lunch?" he said to distract himself. "I'm starving."

At that moment, a maid ran screaming down the hallway. "There's a snake in the bath!" she wailed. She dashed past them and disappeared around the corner.

A moment later, Eryx, holding a towel around his waist, stumbled from the bathroom with sopping wet hair.

"Sorry! Sorry!" Eryx called after the maid. He saw the others down the hallway and his face turned beet red. "I fell asleep and I must've- oh, nevermind." He returned to his bath.

Kindle was doubled over laughing while Kiera covered her eyes.