Red Shoes

I can't believe grandma died yesterday. No one knows how she died, but the doctors said it's because of her old age. But I for sure doesn't believe. It's just super suspicious.

My grandma often tells me story about a girl who wears red shoes that always hunt her in her dreams. And surprisingly, I saw her too, the day we went to see grandma's dead body. I wasn't able to see her face since it was covered by her long hair but I saw her wearing those red shoes. I never believe in ghosts and the stories she told me. but after seeing it for myself. I could tell my grandma was telling the truth.

Now that grandma is gone we need to temporarily live in her house since our apartment was burned. And coincidentally, it was after grandma died.
As I walked through the door, I could feel someone is watching me taking steps upstairs.  I looked behind me only to see that no one is there. I then continued walking upstairs when suddenly something grabbed my foot. My screams echoed throughout the house. The first thing I did was to run towards Grandma’s bedroom, but it felt like I didn't even make any progress. After a few minutes of running, I finally collapsed on the floor. I tried calling out for help but no one answered me. I started sobbing, not knowing what to do.

Just then a loud sound came from downstairs which startled me. As I looked around me, I couldn’t figure out where it's coming from. Suddenly something appeared from a nearby window. I took two step back while trying to calm myself down.
"It's okay."

Someone was talking to me as if she was right next to me. I slowly turned around to look at the window. I was surprised when I saw two bright red eyes staring at me, smiling slightly.  She waved her hand towards me and gave me a warm smile.
"Who are you?" I asked still looking at her in fear.
"I'm your grandmother." she spoke with a soft voice.
I looked at her closely and realized that she really does look like grandma. She has brownish white hair and bright blue eyes. She also looks exactly like grandma when they were younger. I started crying again.
She walked closer to me and placed her hand gently on my head.
"Don't worry, you're safe here. Nobody will hurt you here." She spoke with a soft voice. "You don't have to be afraid anymore, I'm here. Everything is going to be fine."
She smiled at me once again before disappearing into thin air.
Everything seemed to be so surreal lately. I thought it would get better but all these crazy things happened. First, my parents divorced, then my grandma died, now everything started happening all over again. I've lost count of the times I heard the same words repeated inside my head.
I woke up early today to avoid being late for school. I quickly cleaned up my room, made some toast, washed my face with cold water and rushed to school.
After a few months I haven't experienced and seen anything weird. But just as I thought, red shoes become a thing to our all girls school. And the weird thing is rumors had been running around the corner that anyone wearing the red shoes could be cursed. I knew it sounds strange, but everyone around me is having similar experiences, including me. It's scary sometimes but I try to forget about the whole incident and move on.
When I arrived to class, everyone was already seated and whispering. I decided not to go further. Maybe today I'll just pretend that nothing happened.
Before entering the classroom, I peeked outside my window. Red shoes was still lurking behind the bushes. I ran away inside the room and closed the window.
When I was about to go home, I heard weird noises inside the bathroom. Curiously, I peeked, my heart skipped a beat when I saw one of my classmate Anne floating and chanting weird stuff.  I looked at the window to see Red shoes dancing in the air with a smile plastered on his face. Then the noise stopped. When I looked back to see Anne, she looked normal. Well, as normal as possible.
On my way home, my phone rang. I immediately picked up and answered it.
"Hey! Did you find what you needed?" my mum said excitedly on the other end of the line. "Are you alright? You seem quite...disturbed lately!"
"I'm sorry Mum. I didn't mean to alarm you, but yes. I found what I was looking for. Actually..." I bit my lower lip nervously. "The reason why I called is that...well, there might be someone else who found it too."
She stayed silent on the other side. "What do you mean?" she asked.
"Well, I know that it was Red shoes who was dancing in the shadows."
"You know that she's haunting us?" She questioned.
The phone suddenly turned off as mom was about to say something. Then suddenly Anne appeared out of nowhere. I got startled.
"Anne, what's wrong with you? You almost kill me. ", I said furiously. But Anne was just smiling. She tooked three steps backward. I don't know what she's doing. She was repeatedly said, " Red shoes, red shoes, red shoes. " When I was about to stop her from crossing the streets without looking, a car suddenly hits her from nowhere.  I heard people screaming on the other end, my heart stopped for a second, but fortunately Anne is still alive.
I ran to her and carefully held her head in my lap while she is still lying on the ground. Her nose was bleeding but she was breathing calmly. I wiped the blood away on her nose. When I was about to ask for help Anne suddenly scream. "She's going to kill me! The girl in the red shoes! " She was pointing  at me. I immediately put Anne back on her feet and she started laughing hysterically as soon as I released her from my grip.
Everyone in the street stared at us. A lot of people started asking questions. Why was she screaming? Who is she referring to?
I was lost for words as I was waiting for Anne's parents and mine at the hospital. Anne died and I couldn't do anything about it.
How am I suppose to explain that I saw her die right in front of my eyes?! What do I tell them about that ghost? I sighed heavily thinking about this. Then, a nurse came to talk to us.
"Are you Anne's friend? ", she asked. While  nodding my head, she continues, "I saw this letter inside her pockets. "

I immediately open the letter and read it.
Karina, I'm sorry I couldn't tell you earlier. But you need to burned the red shoes or else you're going to die next.

I was dumbfounded of what I just read.  Anne wrote this!? Anne died! How could this happen?! Anne is such a sweet girl and yet she's dead! I cried for a few more seconds until the nurse decided to come and check on me. She's probably wondering what's wrong. I looked up at her and apologized profusely. Then Anne's mother came and hugged me tightly apologizing for what had happened. I'm sorry I'm causing you problems like this! I want to protect you. I wish I could keep you away from danger.
After I was left alone, I began crying again. It seems like Anne's warning had helped me, but now my situation is worse than ever.
After Anne died strange things happened at school plenty of girls was missing. I was scared, that's why I told my mom I won't go to school for a few days. I'm glad she understood me.  I then went back to my house and continued reading Anne's letter.
I think it should be okay now, I should burn them. If I don't destroy the red shoes, my life could be in danger. I know I have to do this.
When I finish the letter, the last few lines made me cry even more.
As I continued reading the letter, I felt dizzy. It seemed like I couldn't breathe. I sat down on the ground feeling like I was going to pass out soon.  The door swung open and I immediately stood up. Anne and grandma's ghost froze in silence and looked at me. I could hear  whisper and I wanted to cover my ears.  But it wasn't enough. I kept covering them desperately wanting to block out those whispers.
They both disappeared before I realize it. I fell to my knees and continued sobbing loudly.  I couldn't believe that Anne is really gone. I didn't even get the chance to tell her goodbye. This day will never leave my mind. After spending several minutes on my knees, I finally composed myself. I tried calling mom but no answer. So, I went downstairs to see what my mom was doing.
I was about to call my mom but I changed my mind when I saw her sneakily dragging a huge sack to the basement.  I followed her down slowly and watched her takeout a knife from the bag. As usual, I waited patiently. She didn't notice me and continued to prepare herself something.
My curiosity got the best of me so I saw her taking out the dead body from the sack. It was one of my classmate who went missing.  That's when I realized that she killed her. I felt sick and ran away.
I don't know what to make of this situation. I feel so helpless, so angry and confused at the same time. It feels like this whole world has gone mad, like I can no longer trust anybody.
The first person I trusted turned out to be a murderer.
"Red shoes are everywhere." I whispered to myself. "I hope they all disappear soon."
After hearing those words in my mind I began to freak out. There must be someone hiding somewhere. They must have their reasons why they were there and they have a reason why they're killing people. I don't know how many people they've killed but I'm sure they're not human.
I walked upstairs and went straight to my room. I opened my closet and searched through my clothes. I grabbed a black hoodie and put it on. I also grabbed a pair of jeans and a pair of sneakers.
Without my mom's knowing I went down the garage and get the gasolines that was stored for the car. I spread the gas around the house since mom was still in the basement. Without giving it a thought I locked my mother in the basement and started to light up the house. Everything was on fire I could hear my mom screaming for help in the basement. Since we live in an isolated place no one was able to help. I also made up my mind to die together with mom. So run inside our burning house get my father's gun and killed myself.

The End...

Thank you for reading!!! This is my first time writing a story. Forgive me for the grammatical errors.