o. no answers to these questions and all the fear felt

prologue; NO ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS AND ALL THE FEAR FELT

Trust no one. Trust no one. Trust no one.

A young woman paced the small patch of carpet of her bedroom floor, back and forth, back and forth, panicked for reasons she couldn't explain, an old dull ache in her back and knee that never went away, and a fear in her heart that hadn't eased and was only growing slowly.

She took a deep breath as she spun on her heel and made her way over to her desk. Dianna's hand shook as she grabbed the piece of paper she'd found near the middle of her textbook. Essay long forgotten, she stared down at the three words on the ripped piece of lined paper.

Trust no one.

"Hey." Heart thudding erratically, she crumpled the paper into a ball in her fist as she whirled around to face the figure in her doorway, "You okay?"

She schooled her features into an easygoing grin, "Yeah, this essay is just getting to me. I'm fine."

"Well, maybe get some rest." Her niece told her, "You can't do your best work if you're tired."

Dianna allowed her smile to widen, "Yeah, you're right. I might take get something to eat, maybe take a nap. Thank you, my love."

Elena smiled before she turned, and as she walked away, Dianna allowed her smile to drop. The paper scrunched up in her clenched fist felt heavy as she listened to her niece's footsteps move further away from her bedroom, down the stairs and into the living room. Dianna sat at her desk, dropping the note onto the wood. Nervously, she began to tap her fingers against it, staring down at her cursive, which glared back at her, mocking her.

Trust no one. Trust no one.

Why would she write it? Why didn't she remember writing it? Was it because of all the blackouts she'd been experiencing? Adding to that, why did she have so many holes throughout her memory? But those holes only went as far back as May, so she had no trouble remembering anything before that. Where did these fractures come from, and why did they begin occurring in the first place?

Dianna felt like she couldn't breathe.

Trust no one.

The note read that she couldn't trust anyone, but it was frustratingly vague. Did that mean absolutely everyone? Because if she couldn't trust her friends or her family, her sister, what would she do? How could she even go about finding the cause of the missing fragments in her mind if she couldn't trust anyone enough to confide in them? How could she get everything lost back? Could she even get all the missing fragments back?

She heard the front door opening downstairs and her niece's voice, followed by two males. She felt like a bucket of ice water had been thrown over her, and her heart thudded loudly. Dianna took four calming breaths, just as her sister had once taught her to collect herself before a big game or a stressful test. How does a voice bring out such a reaction? Such tenseness and fear?

Did she want her forgotten memories back if she was scared by simply hearing voices? She wasn't sure what was missing to know if she wanted them back.

Trust no one.

But why?

══════════════════

i had my doubts on this being the prologue instead of a flashback during the first chapter but i quite like the vagueness of it as i move into part one of the book and the fragility of dianna's relationships with her friends and family.

thanks so much for reading!

~r