40

Itachi walked patiently beside the clone of Katsuyu, studying Sakura's body as she lay unconscious on the slug. He guessed that Tsunade had wanted her to be taken directly to where she was so that she could fix Sakura up and that, in turn, would lead to Sakura being able to help others as she was the only competition that Tsunade would face in the field.

They arrived at one of the sub units to the interrogation area, a little way away from where Itachi knew the decoding team would be working. Katsuyu followed the trail of chakra that no doubt connected her to Tsunade and they finally turned into a room, Tsunade seated in the centre with four ANBU delegates around her.

"Dismissed," she said quietly yet one ANBU moved to speak, protesting at such an action and pointing out the stranger.

"He is Naruto's personal guard and I need to speak with him privately. I'm afraid that anything you heard, if you remained here, would result in your death and I am rather fond of the four of you."

The ANBU stiffened and Itachi could tell that their faces were blanched. Little did he know that Naruto had refused the very same ANBU, claiming that he already had a guard set up for him, and that they were more powerful and efficient than the ANBU cell could be, seeing as the ANBU had been thrown together in the last seconds before splitting the units off to aid against the Akatsuki.

They left with the promises of remaining outside the room, closing the door regretfully. Tsunade knew that they didn't trust Itachi but they had little else to do but obey her orders, she was the former Hokage after all.

"I see that you have returned then," she began stiffly, rising from her place in the centre of the room and sighing deeply. Tsunade walked over to the nearby table and took a biscuit from the surface, eating it quickly.

"I found Sakura amongst the Amaterasu that Sasuke had used and I plan to show him that not all actions need be used violently. It is clear that he blames Konoha and I can no longer allow him to abuse the powers that I worked hard for."

Tsunade's face was blank and Itachi lowered his eyes, knowing the silent question. Instead of remaining silent, he answered aloud;

"Naruto means more to me than Konoha and Sasuke would destroy him too if he felt it would achieve his goals. Naruto lives for Konoha and would not allow Sasuke to harm his village in any way."

Tsunade nodded, evidently happy with the answer that Itachi had spoken, and a wry grin overcame her lips,

"Konoha isn't all that he lives for, Itachi. You should know that. You know that Naruto doesn't display his emotions so readily and for him to willingly consummate the relationship between yourselves - oh come on, you don't think that I know when a relationship has changed? Think of my former team members - is a big step. Although he is unsure of what exactly love pertains, I think that our Naruto could just share his love for Konoha with an even greater love for Uchiha Itachi."

Itachi's eyes looked into Tsunade's and he shook his head a little,

"He doesn't deserve me. Do you need my help with Sakura?"

Tsunade nodded,

"I want you to be here when she wakes up to explain just how she got out of that mess. If you have to tell her the truth of your identity then so be it... if you want a true relationship with the Hokage then you better become accepting of being known again. Naruto is loved for who he is and you could be, if people knew the sacrifices you have made."

Itachi remained silent and still as Katsuyu allowed Tsunade to take Sakura from her, vanishing in a puff of smoke. Tsunade worked quickly to clear Sakura's lungs and sent her chakra to the medic's leg, not bothering to splint the leg straight first.