The Girl Who Cried Skinny

Why are girls always so concerned with their bodies? I ask myself this question often, but then I remember those days when I was one of those girls too.

 I entered the classroom after the New Year's break; it still had a stale smell of axe and BO. Everyone's seats were either occupied by their claimed owners or they were surrounding their standard groups, catching up before branching out to their other friends. I quickly gathered in my group, waiting of course for them to start the talk. The talk about how skinny I was... "I think I got fatter over New Year's break." One of the many unimportant girls pulled at the fat on her thighs and sighed, "I guess I ate to much during the break!" she shouted in defeat crashing into her chair behind her. It flipped back slightly but met the ground with a thud shortly after. She placed her hand under her chin and then grumbly looked at me. "It must be nice having such a nice body like yours, Ryder." This was my chance to shine.

 "What?" I pretended to act shocked, "I don't have a nice body at all!" I covered my cheeks with my hands in embarrassment. The other girls all looked at me in astonishment spitting compliments out like they were sour candy. They complimented my recently died lavender hair, my shocking hazel eyes, my perfect complexion, and of course my weight. I tried to act surprised and laughed as they all smiled at me with their longing. 

 "It's true! You're so thin you could definitely be a model!" one of the girls beside me added to their chatter.

 "No way!" I replied astonished, "I'm not tall enough and my body gains weight easily too!" I added just for extra measure. They continued to compliment me, which made me pleased and my confidence grew with each word. I just stood there and smiled taking it all in. I think pretty people have an advantage in this world and I was definitely making use of it.  Everyone compliments skinny people, and all the guys give them special treatment.

 "Ryder, want to look at the photos from the class trip?" one of the boys called to me.

 "Ryder, you look great in these photos!" another added, I smiled at them and skipped over to the table most of the guys sat at. At least where the important ones sat anyway...  They were right I did look good in all the pictures, but I looked the best in one with Yvette she was standing beside me smiling and holding my hand. I felt disgusted that day because she dared to touch my hand without permission, a large girl like her. However, it doesn't matter anyway I was looking at someone much more important in the picture anyway.

 "Ryder is so thin I'm glad I wasn't in any pictures with her!" I overheard one of the girls say looking at the trip pictures. I returned to my train of thought, then he walked in, because the most important thing about being skinny is the people you like – actually pay attention to you.     

 "Carter, look at this picture of Ryder!" he was perfect, his black hair was a mess pulled away from his face by continuously pulling his fingers through his hair. His eyes were the true beauty however; they were so blue and so dark. I couldn't help it but I needed him to be mine.  

 "What about it?" he asked smacking the picture away without hesitation. He turned realizing I was there and paused. I felt a stab in my chest but I smiled at him hoping it was nothing. He looked down and pulled his hand through his hair turning away from me. I stared into his back letting my gaze burn into him.