Prologue

Izzy's POV

I hiked out to the woods, by myself. I dragged my mint green pennyboard with me. I come up here, about 15 minutes from my house, every weekend. It's a soothing way to end my week. I live, breathe, and eat to skate.

I'm wearing short denim shorts, a pineapple crop top, and my plain black Vans. I am 13 years old, and I have a pretty nice life. My mom is an oncologist, and my dad is an occupational therapist. My parents love to spoil me and let me do what I want.

I've reached my usual skating path now. Something looks different. It seems eerie quiet, yet I hear lots of rustling, if that makes any sense. Maybe they are just some animals. I hope they are animals, at least. I guess I am going to keep on skating, with my parents and the police on speed dial.

The rustling is louder and my heart is pounding, I think I should head home instead. I run as fast as my 5'4" body could take me.

"Get her! a manly voice screamed.

I shrieked, though no one except those possible rapists could hear me.

What is they shoot me? How do I get away?

I think back to when the police officer came to my middle school. He said if somebody has a gun and is trying to shoot you, you have to run zig zag, so they can't keep up with you.

I run zig-zag. At the moment, I am thanking myself that I run cross-country.

All of a sudden, I hear a loud bang. Almost instantly,there is a horrible pain in my left forearm. I touch it, and it hurts like hell and will not stop bleeding. I retract my hand instantly after that. I whimper and cry for help, sadly knowing that no help will be coming my way.

I look back at my phone, I am tightly gripping it in my hand. I want to call the police so bad, but I am scared that if I do I might get shot again. So I am going to wait until there is a safe moment.

Another gunshot. This bullet is lodged in my right shoulder. I whimper even louder. What did I ever do to these men? I doubt I even know them . What if I black out? Will they take me?

Survival is the only thing on my mind, and it seems pretty hard to focus on it. Especially when you are running for your life, with two bullet holes gushing out blood. I feel very-