Day 7: Baking/Comfort/'Why is that on fire?'

"Why the fuck is that on fire?"

Zane, well used to interruptions such as these, did not startle. Instead, he remained focused on his task while saying, "Good morning, my friend. Please do not be alarmed, I am quite skilled at this."

"Still doesn't explain to me why you decided to light breakfast on fire," Morro, their resident ghost, retorted, crossing his arms and glaring at the ice ninja. "Also, don't call me that."

"Technically, I am flambéing breakfast," Zane replied, gazing critically at his creation. "And only part of it."

"...why?!"

"Well," the nindroid flicked his wrist, pouring the contents of the pan onto a nearby plate. "How else am I supposed to make Bananas Foster French Toast?"

He set the pan down and sprinkled a little powdered sugar onto the aforementioned French Toast. "Ah," Zane said, smiling in satisfaction. "Perfect."

Morro flipped onto his stomach, scowling at the plate of breakfast food. "That thing looks like a sugar overload waiting to happen," he scoffed.

"It is a tad sweet," Zane admitted. "But I have got black coffee and tea to help offset that, as well as plenty of sausage and bacon. Besides, some people take comfort in making or consuming sweet things. I figured everyone needed a pick-me-up today."

"Hm."

There was a lull in conversation for a moment, Zane taking the time to slice up another banana for his French Toast. As he did so, the nindroid couldn't help but ask, "Did you ever have the opportunity to cook on your own?"

Morro scoffed again. "Being an orphan on the streets didn't exactly offer any consistent access to a kitchen," he replied scathingly.

Zane tipped his head in acknowledgment. "What about later on, at the monastery."

"Wu did most of the cooking then." Out of the corner of his eye, Zane noticed the ghost blushing slightly, quietly muttering something that sounded suspiciously like a single instance of burnt porridge. The ice ninja had to hide an amused smile.

"...I did like baking," Morro admitted softly, making Zane blink in astonishment. "Wu showed me how to make matcha cookies and shortbread a few times." A wistful look crossed the ghost's face, a hint of a smile tugging on his face. "I used to fucking love those things—I almost made myself sick once eating too many." He huffed out a laugh. "Worst stomach ache ever, yet I couldn't resist eating more the next day..."

Morro shook himself, his expression morphing into something more aloof. "Eh, whatever, that's all in the past anyways," he said dismissively.

Zane hummed, not quite agreeing but unwilling to push too much. A glance at the stovetop gave the ice ninja an idea. "Would you like me to walk you through my recipe for the French Toast?" he offered.

There was silence for a moment, long enough that Zane thought Morro would refuse.

Then, the ghost shrugged. "Ah, what the heck, why not? I'm bored anyways." He floated closer, hovering just above the ice ninja. "So, when and why do you set the bananas on fire?"

Zane chuckled. "It's a flambé. And it is the liquor that is aflame, not the bananas. Watch..."

~~~~~

Could I have made this prompt about cooking shenanigans with Morro, Cole, and/or Kai? Yes. Did I instead choose to give Zane and Morro a chance to bond a little. Yes. Do I regret this decision? No :D

My dad made me Bananas Fosters French Toast over the summer and it was sooooooo good. It's also VERY sweet--would recommend eating with a cup of black coffee XD

Also, the legal drinking age in Ninjago is 19 in this AU, and Zane is old enough to legally drink/buy it. He only does it on very rare occasions, though, and only for cooking/baking purposes. 

I feel like Morro would like cooking/baking, but he was more focused on training so he never got more than the bare basics. Zane eventually lets him in the kitchen more often to watch as he cooks or bakes, walking Morro through all of the steps and answering any questions. 

Hope you guys enjoyed! :D