Chapter Three

I finish putting out supplies and organizing stock in the back room for the day.

"Savannah, what are you still doing here?"

I glance up to see Gary looking at me through the door. He is my boss and the owner of the tattoo parlor I work at. I obviously don't give tattoos but I work behind the front desk. I take appointments and write out the schedules. I keep the back room organized and pull out the supplies the artists need for each appointment.

"I was just finishing up before leaving." I tell him.

"You work too hard. Get out of here." he laughs.

I smile at him and nod. Gary is covered almost head to toe in tattoos. He is tall and a wall of muscle. He looks terrifying when you first meet him but he is really just a big teddy bear. He is always making me laugh. He is the best boss I could have asked for. I grab my bag and walk out with him.

"So you and Sam have appointments scheduled first thing Friday." I tell him.

"I saw that, thank you."

"Have a good night." I wave as we walk to our own cars.

"Have a Happy Thanksgiving!" He hollers back.

Usually I would be heading to class but because it is fall break I head home. When I walk in the door Makena runs up and hugs me.

"Daddy says we get to cook dinner tonight!" She cheers.

"Oh he did, did he?" I glare at his guilty face from the couch.

"Yep! He said we can make mac n' cheese!"

I laugh. Mac n' cheese is her favorite thing to eat and she would eat it everyday if we let her.

"Ok but what else?"

"Ummm...how about chicken nuggets!?!" She shouts.

"Sure. Let me get changed first."

She dances back over to Dorian while I head to my room. As soon as I come out she is there ready to get started. We go straight to the kitchen. I let her help pour water in the pan before I put it on the stove. Then the waiting begins and she isn't the best at this part. When it's finally boiling I carefully let her help dump the noodles in the water. She whines when I tell her we have to wait again. She wanders off to her room and I have to yell for her after I drain it. She helps me measure everything out and put it in with the noodles. I am really proud of how well she is able to help me.

"Daddy! Daddy! Dinner is ready." She runs to get him as I pull the chicken nuggets out of the oven.

We all sit down together and eat the meal Makena planned and cooked for us.

"Wow! I think this is the best thing I have ever had!" Dorian praises Makena.

She giggles at his silly face as he rubs his tummy. I can't help but laugh as well.

"You mean it's better than Nanna's cooking?" She asks with big eyes.

"Oh yeah!" He nods his head.

"I'll be sure to tell her you think so, tomorrow." I smirk at him.

Makena starts bouncing in her seat.

"Nanna said she is going to make her famous chicken noodles for us tomorrow!" She cheers.

"I don't know what is better, your mom's chicken noodles or her homemade apple pie." I admit.

"Well she said she is making both as requested. She is also making a full turkey. I feel like because you will be with us this year she is going all out."