Is that how you wanted this to go?

Alex sat at the table with Kyle across from him, a half drank beer in hand. He'd agreed to get a drink with Kyle to take his mind off of everything going on in his life...and because Kyle had told him he had something important to show him before pulling into the wild pony parking lot with a pleading grin a promise to buy drinks for the night.

Alex avoided the Wild Pony for many reasons. One was the bartender, the other was his ex, if you could even call him that, and lastly was the terrible music. Though the last one was more of an excuse that didn't out him for avoiding the other two.

He and Maria were getting better. Now that Alex didn't have to see her with Michael, it was easier. There was still a mild awkwardness between them, but it was dissipating.

"Another round?" Maria asked Kyle as she paused at their table.

"Sure, I'll take one." Kyle nodded.

"I'm okay." Alex held up his still half empty beer.

"Okay, I'm out-pacing you three to one." Kyle huffed at Alex when Maria left.

"This just isn't how I planned to spend my Thursday night."

"And how did you plan on doing that exactly? Staring at your father's old files? Trying to find information that's not there?" Kyle leaned back in his chair.

"I feel like that would be more productive than sitting here..." Alex's voice trailed off as Micheal Guerin walked into the wild pony.

Michael's eyes met Alex's across the bar.

Kyle turned to see what caused the sudden mood shift.

Alex dropped his gaze first, suddenly very interested in his beer.

"So that's why you didn't want to come." Kyle nodded, ignoring the accusing glare Michael directed at him.

"I can't escape him."

"Do you want to?" Kyle asked, a sympathetic smile on his lips.

In lieu of responding, Alex took a long swig of his beer. That was a complicated question. Everything about Michael Guerin was complicated.

"How's Forrest by the way?" Kyle asked with a knowing smirk.

Alex dropped his head with a chuckle. "Uncomplicated."

Kyle stood, gesturing towards an empty pool table. "Come on, let me kick your ass at pool."

Alex raised a brow at him before downing the last of his beer and following suit.

Alex managed to avoid Michael as he concentrated on the pool game. Kyle was beating him, but he didn't mind. It was a nice distraction.

Alex was lining up his next shot when Michael's laughter pulled his attention up and towards the bar where Michael was sitting on a stool, a raven haired guy stood between his legs. Michael's hands sat firmly on the man's hips, as if holding him in place.

Alex's chest clenched at the sight. Michael was known to be a flirt but he'd never actually seen him flirt with another guy before.

"You good?" Kyle asked, glancing to the bar.

Alex's grip on the pool stick tightened as Michael made eye contact with him before placing his cowboy hat on the guy's head.

Alex forced his focus back on the cue ball and with a little more force than he'd intended, took his shot.

The ball went wide, missing it's intended target by inches.

"Don't let him get to you, man. He's not worth it." Kyle offered with a shake of his head.

What Alex didn't say was that Michael was worth it. He was worth every jolt of jealousy, every nightmare, every reminder, and every heartbreak. He'd endure it all if it made Michael happy. But Alex was certain that this random guy didn't make Michael happy. The smile on his face wasn't genuine. So why the show?

Alex glanced back up to see the guy take off Michael's hat and lean in.

Jealousy coiled in Alex's gut. Was Michael actually gonna kiss this guy?

Michael started to lean back, his eyes falling to Alex, who couldn't bring himself to look away.

Their eyes met before Michael dove in with purpose. His lips crashing against the other man's.

Alex swallowed before setting his pool stick down and marching towards the door. Whatever game Michael was playing, he wanted no part of it.

He ignored Kyle calling after him.

He barely made it to the parking lot when he heard footsteps behind him.

"Alex."

Alex turned around, a sharp glare set into his expression. "What Guerin?"

"Where are you going?" Michael asked.

Alex could only stare at Michael. Was he seriously asking that question?

"Home." Alex said bluntly when it was obvious Michael expected an answer. He turned to walk away when Michael caught his arm, stopping him.

"Why?"

"Why?" Alex scoffed. "Could it be that you had your tongue down some other guy's throat?"

"So you're leaving? I thought you'd confront me about it." Michael released Alex's arm.

"What? Why would I do that?"

"I thought you'd see me with him and come yell at me for rubbing it in your face."

Alex raised his brows at Michael. "Is that how you wanted this to go?" he asked incredulously.

Michael splayed his arms out. "Just trying to get your attention, Alex."

"No, you wanted a fight. Well, guess what, I'm not giving you one." Alex's tone was calm despite his frustration. He turned to walk away again.

"And that's the problem."

Alex paused.

"You don't wanna fight for us. You'd rather run."

Alex whipped around, his patience waning. "I don't even know what I'd be fighting for Guerin. Like you said before, we're not good for each other."

"That's what I mean. You just let me go without a fight."

"My whole life has been a fight. I'm tired of fighting. And I wasn't going to compete with Maria."

"There's never a competition, Alex."

Alex took a step forward, putting less than two feet between him and Michael. "So you were with that guy to hurt me intentionally and you're mad because I didn't make a scene? Didn't demand that you can't be with anyone other than me?"

Michael pursed his lips, seeing the flaw in his plan.

"Maria and I broke up weeks ago."

Alex furrowed his brow. "And what, you thought I'd come running back?"

"I was hoping." Michael said, as if it was obvious.

Alex glanced to where Kyle had approached.

"I'm seeing someone anyway." Alex took a step back.

"Who? Valenti?" Michael scoffed.

"Forrest, actually."

Michael licked at his bottom lip. He should have guessed. Forrest was always too chummy with Alex.

"Besides, we're not good for each other, Guerin." Alex nodded to Kyle who nodded back and started for his car.

Michael's jaw clenched as he watched Alex follow after Kyle.

His hands pulled at his curls in frustration as he started back for the bar. As he reached the awning, he swung his arms down with a sharp, frustrated grunt. The nearby tables were hit with a gust of his telekinesis, clattering against the surrounding chairs.

He'd viewed this night going very differently.

*AN*
Was gonna post this for Michael Guerin week for the prompt 'Is that how you wanted this to go' but it worked better from Alex's point of view so I'm just posting it as it's own thing.