TWO

The start of their next chapter

Two days before school was coming back from winter break, the McCall pack found themselves driving back from Mexico with a teenage Derek Hale sprawled unconscious upon the laps of those in the back seats

Haleys name hadn't been uttered once throughout their trip, the stilinski boy barely even speaking unless he felt it absolutely necessary. The chipped blue jeep had just passed the beacon hills sign as the sound of arguing flittered into the air, tension rising between the group without Stiles' mediation.

'Who would've thought you were the glue of the group, im a bit offended actually.'

"All I said was it has been weeks now, bad things happen. Deal with it." Malias harsh words dropped into the air so harshly, each and every stomach dropped. without Stiles to guide and teach the were coyote during their break, her progress had been stunted into blunt replies and lack of understanding. He hadn't taken her words to heart, already feeling guilt for pulling her out of her animal form before she was ready. Still, her words hurt.

"I know your social etiquette is near appaulling because of your whole were-coyote thing, but you really need to learn when to zip it." Lydia scolded like a lost mother, eyes flickering towards the boy who appeared to be numbly gazing out into the road as he drove.

"The whole coyote thing? Are you seri..."

"Stop the car!"

Scott cut in as Malias eyes shone a vivid blue, ready to take on the banshee within their small confinements and with their kitsune sat in the middle. Unaware of the alphas reasoning, Stiles turned to argue but instead was met with red eyes.

'I wouldn't argue with that.'

Begrudgingly he pulled the jeep to the side of the road and ordered everyone to get out, begging that whatever he needed to do would only last a few minutes. The alpha crept towards the tree line, ignoring the shouts of annoyance as his pack followed his trail. None had yet seen what he had. Blissfully unaware of the fire burning within the depths of the woods.

"Freaking hell Scott, what are you doing?" Stiles yelled in dismay, stumbling up to stop beside his best friend.

Maybe if he had kept driving they could've prevented what would come next. Instead, here the McCall pack stood, staring in shock toward the fire alight upon the nemeton. If there was one place Stiles hated most in the world, it was the freaking nemeton.

"What is that?" Kira whispered, afraid to wake whatever caused the fire to pulse as if it were alive. It was far too bright to see what the flames cradled in its womb, oranges and reds whipping out to protect its prisoner.

"Im not sure." Lydia answered, stepping forward as if she alone could assess its threat and keep her friends safe.

"Well It looks like a fire." Malia shrugged nonchalantly, "fires happen all the time."

As she went to turn away, back towards the darkness and the warmth of their car, both Kira and Stiles twisted her back around towards the flame.

"I don't think its just a fire." Scott hummed out, mesmerised by the pure height of the flames as they spiralled up to the sky. And he was right. Because there, on the base of the nemeton, laid the origin of the fire.

Both reds and oranges cracked along the surface of her skin as she slept peacefully within the eye of the flames. She didn't look in pain, but each tendril of fire coated her naked body as if to form clothes. he had to squint and get accustomed to the brightness she exuded, but once Scott saw her he knew.

"I think its a girl."

•••

Scott and his himbo ways pointing out the obvious.

Any italics with '' is what stiles is hearing