Chapter 6

Though my time spent with Sheck and Ulgin was only a few hours, it felt like much, much longer. It started with Sheck walking back and forth in front of my cell, never taking his eyes off me. Occasionally he would reach through the bars, as if he could grab me. He was trying to get a response from me. To see me afraid. I never gave him the satisfaction. I stayed to the far end of the cell the whole time. Though I was tired and could have used a rest before I sneak out of my cell tonight, I didn't nap. I couldn't risk rolling over in my sleep, coming within reach of Sheck's searching hands. But that was not all that prevented me from sleeping. There was also the screaming. Ulgin, like Sheck, is not a complicated pirate to figure out. Each pirate has their vice. For some it is drinking, for others it's gambling, for those like Sheck, it is deriving forced pleasure from a struggling woman. But Ulgin—his is seeing pain in others. So I sat, facing away, while Ulgin tortured those smugglers to death. 

Hongjoong keeps vile men in his company, but I am neither surprised nor terribly bothered by it. My father has much worse men at his disposal. Some of them I know enjoy the taste of human flesh, right off a living body.I have no such creatures within my own crew. I value other traits above anaffinity for torture and power over those weaker than oneself. I value brilliant minds, honest souls, and those with long endurance. I forge relationships based on trust and mutual respect, not fear and control. Empathy for human life is something my father tried to beat out of me. He thinks he succeeded. Most people do. And while I can kill evil men without guilt, the suffering of others pains me as well as it does them. It hurts, but I can handle it. Bad things happen to people who may not be deserving of such punishment. The world continues on. I continue on. Because if nothing else, I'm a survivor. So it is with relief that I look upon the dead smugglers. Their pain is gone atlast. Shortly after, Seonghwa comes below with two pirates I haven't met. "You're relieved, Sheck. Go ashore with everyone else. You may, too, Ulgin, once you've cleaned this up." Seonghwa's posture is stiff, and he looks at Sheck with such disgust, I'm surprised his tone doesn't reflect his feelings. Sheck hasn't said a word during the whole time he's been down here. I wonder if he can talk at all. He looks me up and down one last time, as if memorizing every part of me. Then he races out of sight. 

Seonghwa turns to me next, his face blank now. "This is Yunho and Yeosang. They will be watching over you while I go ashore as well." Seonghwa steps right up to the bars, trying to get out of earshot of everyone else. "I know to expect some sort of attempt at fleeing from you, what with us being so close to shore and all. So let me save you the trouble. There are five men guarding the ship above deck. They know to watch out for you." 

There's a slithering sound; Seonghwa and I turn to see Ulgin dragging a sheet topped with the bodies of the smugglers out of the brig. Seonghwa looks at me then, and it might be the poor lighting, but I swear his eyes are wetter than usual. He is not anywhere close to tears, but he might be feeling ... something. "I'm sorry," he whispers. And then he's gone. He's apologizing as though Sheck and Ulgin are somehow his fault. Or maybe he's apologetic for some other reason. I never know with Seonghwa. Sometimes it feels like he's trying to help me. Other times, he's obviously doing the complete opposite. He subjected me to Sheck and Ulgin, yet he never ordered me to give him my dagger. I know he saw me take it off the dead smuggler back on the ship. Did it slip his mind? Or did he want me to have it while I was belowdecks with those two?Either way, I still don't know what to make of Seonghwa. Doesn't matter at the moment, anyway. I have a more pressing problem. Seonghwa assumes I will try to escape this ship in some way. He already suspects me of being up to something. Of being more than just a prisoner on this ship. He knows I'm hiding something. Which means if I'm to keep up appearances, I'll have to escape the ship. Then get caught on purpose. Oh, the ridiculous things one has to do when one is a pirate. 

The two pirates ordered to guard me sit in front of my cell, playing dice. I suppose that since they're not permitted to go ashore and spend their money, the next best thing is to gamble. I myself like to gamble as well, just not with money. "Sixes beats sevens, don't it?" asks Yunho. "Sures do. But nines beats them all," Yeosnag says."Then how comes you have more points than me?" "Because I'm better with numbers." Honestly, it doesn't look like either of them can count very well. But each time the other starts to get ahead, a similar argument will break out. They're both so focused on the game that they don't pay any attention to me, which works perfectly to my benefit. I return to one of my bags, the one holding the books, and take out a book on sailing, another subject I have mastered. The spine of this book holds my lockpicks. The simple fact is that each time I break out of my cell and get caught, Seonghwa will be determined to learn how I managed it. My key-swap trick was bound to work only until Seonghwa tried to use the false key. Now I have a second method for getting out of my cell, which I've been using for the last several days. It's actually been quite easy, since Jongho and Mingi fall asleep quickly, and Jongho's snoring masks the clicking of the lock.