Chapter 28: Maybe it's not too much to hope things could actually work out

Shit shit shit, this wasn't part of the plan.

Lauren's mind ran frantically, trying to come up with an out. The squad had been half their plan, they were supposed to sneak up behind the two after they'd been distracted and allow Lauren, Chris, Camila, and Normani to spring out on the other side to surround them. How were they supposed to capture the two when they were all not only in this room, but not in positions that allow them any sort of power?

I did this. Nothing would have happened to them if it weren't for me.

With a jolt, Lauren steeled her gaze and met Clara's glare head on. Fighting for herself with the help of others was one thing, but now she had people to fight for and she felt the fire in her chest blaze. She never had been as apathetic as people always accused her of being, at least not when it counted. When it came to the little things, she looked out for herself, true. But when it came to life altering decisions or the safety of people she felt close to, she made that effort. Which is exactly what she was going to do now.

If I indirectly did that to them, then I guess It's time I actively did something for them.

"Yeah yeah I know. You want my money, my pub, whatever. I owe it to you cause you birthed me right? Well, hate to break it to you but I made everything I am, on my own. None of that belongs to you and you're not getting it either." Lauren lifted her chin, defiance clear in her features.

The crazed woman leered at Lauren, a cruel twist in her lips. "And what would I do with your silly little backwoods watering hole you ungrateful little wretch? Why on earth would I want anything to do with that?" A high pitched and manic laugh escaped her lips, setting all the pub owners nerves on edge. Lucy looked slightly off at the revelation and Lauren couldn't figure out why. "Honestly darling, you have no idea what I want. You always were the more dull of my children. Get your friends to come out please, I know they're hiding somewhere and I'd rather see them."

With a flick of her eyes, Lauren met Normani's gaze through the crack in the door to the bathroom and she nodded slightly. Chris did the same for Camila and the two came out slowly, steps wary as they stopped to stand just outside of their hiding places and not daring to get any closer to the two hostage takers.

Lauren was filled with confusion at Clara's words, and she couldn't help the jerk of her head to gauge Chris' reaction. He seemed just as floored as she was, his face had run pale and he met Lauren's eyes for a moment. A moment long enough for Clara to get the confirmation she needed to know that she'd been right in not trusting Chris with the truth.

"Alright, I give in. What do you want from me?" Lauren swallowed thickly, her eyes refusing to meet the woman's, instead they settled on Lucy as she stood behind Ally with the knife against her throat. The blonde's eyes held a wicked gleam and she puckered her lips at Lauren, causing bile to rise in the raven haired woman's throat.

"Simple really." Clara was pacing back and forth behind the line of her friends, hands continually running through her messy mane of hair. "You destroyed my happiness, so I'm going to destroy yours." Lauren started to feel numb in anticipation. "You can't imagine how pleased I was to learn you managed to find yourself a new family as it were, regardless of how ratty and ridiculous they are. There really is no accounting for your taste dear." Clara pouted and twirled her finger through a trail of Dinah's hair, pulling it enough for the woman to grimace. She didn't move though, although Dinah had a sort of martyr complex even she wasn't so hellbent on being the hero that she'd endanger Ally any further. "Having you in the first place ruined me let alone when you were taken. That was the cherry on the proverbial cake though darling. I lost everything." Her eyes snapped up to Lauren's, making the pub owner balk at their intensity. "So now you're going to lose everything. Or rather." Lauren was sweating and her eyes widened in realization. "Everyone anyway. Lucy dear, would you please dispatch of Lauren's family."