Chapter Six - A Loving Connection

Entering home again, the front door squeak caught my parents' attention. Sitting on the couch wrapped up in a blanket, all their focus was on a tv show.

"Where have you been, Barry? It's late," Mum asks me, noticing Betty.

"We were just out. Sorry for not texting. Is it cool if she stays the night?" I asked as we took off our shoes.

"Of course it is. Have you two had dinner?" as mum got up from the couch.

"Not yet; we are just gonna have showers first, then we can eat," Betty replied, nudging me up the stairs.

As she often stayed over at my place, there were always clothes if needed. Not wanting to think about the room tonight, I decided not to write everything up and instead spend time with my love. We each grabbed a pair of clothes; we carefully washed each other off. Being with Betty made me feel special and loved because I knew she would care for me in any situation. One issue I was aware of was how her dad, Andy felt about me. Feeling like he didn't think I was good enough for his daughter. However, this didn't stop me because she was my world. Gently putting on each other's clothes and stepping back into my bedroom, she turned to me.

"Baby, we need to talk about how you reacted to what we found," she softly spoke.

"I know... I feel like I'm losing it; it never leaves my mind," I replied, sitting on the bed.

I loved Betty's ability to empathize with me very deeply. Always make sure I felt okay and help if I needed it. At this moment, her love was needed more than ever. Taking my hands, she gently sat on my lap, holding me tightly.

She spoke quietly, "Seeing you be this hurt makes me feel like I've let you down."

Listening, I could help but be confused. "Baby, what are you talking about? You haven't."

Sniffling tears began falling, dripping onto my lap as she moved closer.

"It's my fault; I hurt you; I'm sorry," she whispered in tears.

"Baby, you know I don't like it when you blame yourself; please stop," I begged, wiping her tears off her soft cheeks.

"You're not listening! If I said no to going there, we would be fine!" exclaimed Lena, pushing off me.

"This isn't you; you did nothing wrong. Please believe me!" I responded, slightly upset.
We never fought like this, not even shouting once. It hurt seeing the effects of our discovery hours before.

Wanting to solve it, I responded, "You are hurting yourself, baby; stop it; let's just go down, okay?"

"You go down; just leave me alone, please," Lena spoke, surprising me.

Pulling her back onto my lap, I didn't want to leave her in this state. "Baby, listen..."

Standing back up, shuffling onto the bed, she shouted angrily, "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Listening, I closed the door, heading back down without her, needing a second, wiping my tears away with my jumper. It was the biggest fight we have ever had because that disgusting figure hurt Mary. He was the evil to blame for everything we were feeling; shifting these thoughts for a moment, I see dad beginning to plate it.

"She wants to stay in my room for a bit; I'll take it up," I spoke somberly.

With the food on the plate, I grabbed it; but mum stopped me. "I know, my son, something is wrong; what is it?"

Not wanting them to deal with the effects like we were, I lied, "Nothing is wrong."

Leaving her favourite food by the door, I stayed downstairs watching TV with my parents. Shutting the door again, goosebumps covered her skin as Mary was inside the room.