Chapter Five

kingsley's pov.

I looked down at the little girl on the floor, completely still. My youngest son frantically jerked her shoulders and muttered some words under his breath I didn't manage to catch on to. I stepped closer to them.

"Come on, Angel," Matteo whispered frantically as he shook the tiny frame of the little girl. Tears flooded his eyes. "You're not doing this to me."

I made a small frustrated noise that only I heard. There was little time for any delay. But I pushed the thought down. If my son cared about this girl, then I'm going to do my damnest best to keep the little one alive and healthy.

I crouched down to my knees, ignoring the feel of the rough concrete grafting my skin through my pants. I checked for her pulse. I put two fingers on her neck. A pulse was there but barely.

"Give her chest compassions," I ordered immediately. "Do you know-"

I cut myself off as he began CPS.

"Come on. Come on." Matteo chattered again and again under his breath as he pushed down his hands on her chest and blew air into her mouth.

A cough sounded after thirty seconds.

Matteo exhaled in relief, his face softening. "Angel!" He sighed. "You scared the hell out of me."

The little one blinked blankly as if she was seeing through

I pressed my lips together, not feeling the same relief. If I listened closely, her breathing was noisy. A wheeze was let out time from to time and the breathing in general was shallow. It wasn't time to be relieved yet. I still didn't know if she'd make it without an oxygen mask for the next five minutes.

"Turn her to her side now. It'll help her breathe better." I commanded and Matteo obeyed. She was turned to her side. Matteo stroked her back. Her skin was hot to the touch and I was willing to bet both of us were, too.

I pulled out my phone and checked for a signal. So I could call for help down here. As my luck determined, there was no goddamned signal down here. I cursed as I shut off my phone. I heard the house collapsing above us. The floor rumbled and it felt like an earthquake. An exposition exploded in my ears but I ignored it.

"She inhaled too much smoke," I told him. "She needs an oxygen mask. There's a private EMT outside."

"And how do you suggest we get out?" He asked with doubt in his tone.

I glanced at him with my lips pressed together. I didn't want to tell my son that I didn't know. My mind was a blur. I couldn't think straight.

"Pull your shit together," I muttered to myself under my breath.

The map I memorized. Was there an exit?

Why the fuck I can't remember? Did I even check where it led out? Was I seriously stupid not to? Goddamn.

My eyelids were getting heavy. I pinched my nose and shut my eyes closed tightly before blinking rapidly to wake up.

"Dad." Matteo's voice brought me out of my haze. If it wasn't for the situation, my heart probably would soften at the word. I turned to him to find he was looking up. I followed his gaze. There was bright red, and orange light coming out of the cracks and smoke was also leaking out. Smoke was getting to us.

"We got get the hell out of here. We need to move her for cleaner air." I paused before adding, "And us before we also pass out."

I covered my nose and mouth with the hem of my shirt. With the other hand, I lifted my phone as a flashlight. Matteo didn't hesitate to follow me as he took the tiny body up to his chest again.

The dirty tunnel was getting narrower and narrower as we walked through it. I noticed there were three more exits out but they could only be opened from the outside.

"It's longer than I thought," I murmured after a minute of brisk walking.

Above me, I could hear the crackling and roaring of the fire and the ceiling beams falling but something deep down made me halt. I stained my ears. Footsteps.

We were not alone.

I pulled out my gun, gave Matteo a look, and got a knowing one in return. I signaled him to slow down with a gesture and pointed behind us and he nodded. We resumed walking as if we weren't aware of the new presence. This time, we slowed a bit.

Twenty-three seconds later, as soon I felt they were close, I whirled around suddenly with my gun pointed in the air. I held my phone in the other.

"Hands in the air," I commanded. Two figures came into the light.

"Whoa, whoa, it's just us, Dad." Evander's eyes extended and he had his hands up in surrender.

"For the fuck's sake. I could have killed you." I snapped, lowering my gun.

"But you didn't," Evander said cheerfully.

I shook my head. I swear to God this damn boy is going give me a heart attack someday.

"How the hell did you get in here?"

"One of the doors." He brightened as he saw Matteo. "Teo!"

"We'll have our little reunion when we're outside," Dominic said blankly, eyeing his little long-lost brother. "We're getting out of here first."

He was right.

They led us to one of the doors and my muscles relaxed. Dominic pulled out a walkie-talkie and talked harshly into it. Soon enough, the door clicked and it creaked open. I met the sight of a ladder pinned to a dirt tunnel that went directly up. I looked up and there were two huge men who I realized were working for me standing there. I jerked my chin towards the exit to Matteo to allow him to go first.

Matteo hesitated for a moment, looking at me warily. I nodded. "They'll pull the girl up. Give her to them."

He didn't. He instead handed over the girl to me and I took her in my arms bridal style. His expression was hard. "If something happens to her, I'll kill you personally."

Surprise filled me and my eyebrows narrowed at the threat. He didn't allow me a chance to reply as he grabbed the ladder and launched himself up.

"What's up with him?" Evander mumbled.

I ignored his remark. I lifted the girl carefully as soon Matteo was out and he took him.

"Go on. We don't have all day." I snapped to my sons when they just stood there, gnawing at me. Standing there with their thumbs in their months in the middle of fire was basically the same thing.

When they climbed out and I was left alone for a few seconds, I allowed a broad smile on my face. I couldn't help it - I had my son and wife back.

Not the same happy, little boy I knew five years ago but that is tomorrow's problem.

A/N: the next chapter will be updated tomorrow ❤️