Getting settles in

Authors Note:

After finishing the last chapter, I realized I needed to jump between Amy and Starling's perspectives to get where I wanted to go with this Fic. This Chapter is from Starling's POV. I'll clarify who's narrating in all the chapters to come. For now, I'm planning for it to just be Amy and Starling, but I might have chapters from other character's points of view as well.

Starling knew that adjusting to a new body would be difficult, but she was already running into problems. Even though she knew she couldn't fly, she had already begun trying to fly multiple times while walking to Havoc's house before she would remember again that she couldn't. By the time Havoc's phone announced that she had reached her destination Starling was feeling the effects of the late night. She isn't sure if Havoc had gotten any sleep before she had come to the junkyard or if that would even affect her now, but she was in desperate need of rest.

As Starling looks at the house, the phone tells her to enter. She spots a blond woman sitting on the porch with a mug. Starling looks around her in confusion, wondering if she has been sent to the wrong house. The woman looks up from her mug and spots Starling. As her face enters the light, Starling thinks she recognizes it but can't quite place it.

"Amy, thank goodness your back. I was getting close to going out and looking for you myself." Starling is taken aback when she hears the woman's voice. The distinctive British accent, combined with her familiarity with the woman's face, sparks her memory. It's Surge! The blond hair had definitely thrown her off, both Jake and Havoc had removed the color from their hair, but she hadn't anticipated the switch from brown to blond. "Amy, are you good?" Starling is shocked out of her thoughts when she realizes that Surge is talking to her.

"Sorry, everything looks different in the dark. I just got a bit turned around."

"It's fine. I unlocked your window so you can climb in that way without walking through the house since Vic is working in the layer and refuses to sleep." Surge rolls her eyes and takes a sip from her mug. "I'm not going to ask how you got out of the house in the first place."

As Surge turns to reenter the house, Starling walks down the driveway but stops when she realizes she has no idea where the window to Havoc's room is. As Surge opens the door, Starling wracks her brain for a topic to start a conversation to keep Surge outside longer and find a way to ask her where the window is.

"Is that coffee?" To Starling's relief, Surge turns around to look at her again and closes the door behind her.

"Of course. How else do you expect me to stay up waiting for you?"

"But you're not going to be able to fall back asleep." Ever since Starling became a hero, people had been strict about her getting her full ten hours of sleep. Anna always ensured she had enough time in her schedule to sleep and would explore whenever she caught Starling doing anything else.

"I'll need to be up in an hour or two to get you kids ready for school. I might as well stay up and get some things around the house done. I still need to find the rest of the food we swapped around and throw it out before Celia comes over, eats it, and gets suspicious. I had to make four cups of coffee before I got one that hadn't been messed with."

Starling has no Idea what Surge is talking about but just goes with it. A vague memory of Havoc mentioning the device that caused all this being intended to swap food surfaces in her mind, but everything else is foreign.

"I can take a nap later in the day. You, on the other hand, have to go to school. Head up to your room and get some sleep before you have to get up for school."