Part 1

"We can't go down that way! We'll get blocked!"

Grant Ward turned around to look at the young woman standing behind him. Doubt flashed in her eyes, and he noticed her tighten her grip on her gun as she searched his face. She was clad in a long-sleeve shirt covered by a bullet-proof vest, and she had streaks of dirt on her face. But something about her disheveled appearance made Grant even more attracted to her than usual.

But of course, that could be the adrenaline talking.

With a pistol in one hand, he touched her face with the other."Skye, do you trust me?"

The corners of Skye's lips lifted ever so slightly at the question. Had he asked her that 10 months earlier, she would've said no.

But her answer now came with full confidence as she said, "Of course I do."

"Then we need to go down this way."

Grant dropped his hand and turned back to look down the hallway they were in. This op definitely hadn't gone as planned, but there was still a way to get out of the building before in was blown to kingdom come.

Agents Skye and Grant had been sent to a high-security base to retrieve what Coulson thought might be alien tech. But it turned out that when they got there, it was a trap to lure the SHIELD agents to the location. As soon as they had stepped foot into the lab where they thought the device would be, the entire building went on lock-down and was set to self destruct in the next 10 minutes.

Agent Ward looked at his watch, where he had set a timer to match the amount of time they had.

Eight minutes.

They had plenty of time, and so far they hadn't run into any guards. But he wasn't about to take any chances. Not when Skye was there.

If anything happened to her...

He was about to take a step down the hallway when he felt her hands grip the edges of his vest and spin him around so he was facing her. Before he had time to react, Skye's lips were against his, her eyes squeezed shut. She was kissing him like her life depended on it, and Grant kissed back with equal urgency. He reached up to touch her face. His entire being filled with a sensation he couldn't explain, like it did every time he and Skye touched. But as much as he didn't want to, he broke away and looked into her eyes.

"What was that for?" he asked."Luck," she answered, that teasing smirk spreading across her face. "And I figured we might die, so, what the hell."

Grant gave her one last peck on the lips before grinning and saying, "That won't happen as long as I can help it."

They started down the hallway, guns in hand and at the ready.

"And I can always help it."

"Let me guess... you're just that good."

Grant could tell Skye was smiling and he couldn't help the grin on his own face from showing up.

They made a left down another long hallway, then went down a flight of stairs. Grant checked his watch again.

Three minutes.

They made it to a door that led outside, but as expected, it was sealed shut. Both agents looked around for a lock or keypad of some kind, but found nothing.

Two minutes.

Grant could tell that Skye was beginning to get anxious.

"Don't worry," he said reassuringly. "We'll find another way."