Chapter 18: The Truth Hurts

Mugman's pov

It's been two days since our camping trip. We came home after another night in the woods. Halloween is only a few weeks away and we need to find some costumes. But I just realized, Cuphead has not been getting enough sleep ever since we got back home. I don't know why but I'm gonna find out!

No one's pov

The trio finished eating breakfast and Cuphead sat down on the couch.

Mugman: Um....you alright, Cups?

Cuphead: Yeah.....I'm just tired.....(yawns)

Cuphead rubs his eyes. Mugman sat down next to him.

Mugman: Hey.....can I tell you something.....

Cuphead: Sure. What is it?

Mugman: Okay, I'll tell you......

After Mugman told the whole story......

Mugman:......and that was how that happened.

Cuphead stood there in silence.

Mugman: Cups? Are yo-

Cuphead: Why didn't you tell me?!

Mugman: Well I-

Cuphead: Why?!

Mugman: There was a reason I didn't tell you!

Cuphead: Oh, yeah? And what's that?

Mugman: I don't want you to get hurt! I was afraid to tell you.....I don't want to upset you......I made a promise to Elder Kettle to not tell you.....and now I broke it......the truth hurts.....I don't want your heart getting broken.....

Cuphead: W-what.....

Mugman: The truth hurts......it really hurts.....I don't want to keep it a secret forever......I don't want to lie to you.....but I had no choice.....I don't want you to get mad.....

Cuphead:.........

Mugman: Mom did the right thing keeping us safe......she protected us......Dad left us to go fight to protect us.....he did the right thing, too.....

Mugman starts to tear up.

Mugman: (sniffle) Our parents sacrificed their lives to protect us.....Dad died in the war......Mom died in the bitter cold.....but it was worth it to protect us.....

Mugman fell on his knees, tears streaming down his face. Cuphead got on his knees as well and puts a hand on hsi brother's shoulder.

Cuphead: Mugs......I understand now why you didn't tell me.....you were trying to protect me from danger......and you did......

Mugman looks up at Cuphead with teary eyes.

Cuphead: C'mere, Mugs.

The two bros hug each other, both of them crying.

Mugman: I miss them.

Cuphead: Yeah.....even though they are gone.....and so is Elder Kettle......we still have each other.....no matter what.....and my phobia ain't gonna keep me down that easily.

Mugman: Yeah......

Both them broke the hug and wiped their eyes.

Mugman: Anyway.....why didn't you get enough sleep?

Cuphead: There was a storm last night, remember?

Mugman: Oh, right.

Welp-