2-Patched

Max and I walked on in silence, my hand still on his shoulder. He didn't seem to mind- in fact- he rested a comforting hand on mine as well. The tears wouldn't stop no matter how hard either of us tried to shun our emotions. This all happened much to quickly for me to comprehend... 

"Kat, the second house to your left, the one with the gray roof, that is HOME. Once we get there, we head around back, and I'll lead the way from there." He said, his hair color reverting back to its natural ginger. 

We walked around the back of the gray house, and even though it was still light outside, I got goosebumps. Feeling as though I was doing something wrong... It made me feel insecure and sort of scared. What if someone caught us? Wasn't this a felony? Trespassing??

Once we were behind the house, Max walked over and opened the storm cellar doors. He looked at me and sighed, "...Don't be scared. I'm here with you." He winked a little and for some reason I felt the hear rise to my cheeks.

"That's nice to know..." I turned my face away from him, trying to hide the blush. I felt like a little kid. Ew! He didn't say anything about my embarrassment but seemed to notice all the same. I know it sounds silly, but maybe all of this was happening for a reason... maybe the universe is trying to tell me something. "What do we do now...?"

"We jump," he said quietly. I thought I had imagined it, but he really meant jump... like JUMP, JUMP...

"Umm... did I mention that I'm scared of heights...?" I laughed nervously and he shook his head.

"You do know that there is no reason why anyone should be afraid of heights..." He looked at me like a kicked puppy.

"What...!? What did I say?" I asked him, searching his face for an explanation as to why he seemed so hurt by this comment.

He paused and looked up at the sky. "...It's just that... after spending months down there, you tend to like heights more." He gave me a half smile and jumped through the open cellar doors. I didn't hear him land, and he didn't call out to me either. I decided against my fears and did the formidable... I jumped as well.

I was falling through an endless black hole, and I couldn't feel my body anymore. The darkness was only getting darker. Finally, I could feel the falling slow... the only difference was that my feet didn't even touch the ground. I stretched out my leg and I could feel the pressure from the floor on my tip toe. I stepped outwards and I was standing on the ground. It was so dark down here, and it smelled like a hospital... 

Suddenly I felt two arms, strong arms, wrap around me from behind. My first instinct was to elbow jab them in the ribcage. I could hear them coughing.

"Ouch! Damn girl...!" Max wheezed a little bit.

"Oh! Sorry! Don't sneak up on me like that!" I said defiantly.

Max sighed as he fumbled around for a moment to find the lightswitch. I could see him in the light now, his hair an even darker red than before.

"Follow me." He said, taking my hand and leading me to an unknown destination under the Richey-Rich Kid house. We walked down a long hallway for what I know was at least half an hour and then stopped in front of a door. "Enter through this door, and we will meet again at some point. I promise." He said looking at me the way he had earlier, leaving me with a wink.

"W-wait-...! Don't leave! I don't know what I'm supposed to do!" I panicked and he tried to calm me down, putting both hands on my shoulders and looking me in the eyes. 

"You'll be fine. I promise." He smiled at me. He hesitated at first, but he leaned down and lightly pecked my forehead before leaving me alone. Blushing... and with a mission.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. A deep, raspy male voice from inside said "Come in dear Kat, didn't young Max just tell you to enter?"

I opened the door. The room was lit with little floodlights. In the center of the room was a desk with an elderly man behind it. "Go on, sit down." He smiled at me and motioned to one of the chairs in front of the desk.

I did as he said, not daring to disobey. Max did say that if you didn't follow the rules here, you die.

"So, let's talk about your future, young Kat."