Jane doe

Jane doe.

That’s what the coroner said when they found my body. All perfectly intact except for something was missing.

My head. 

You see, everyone knew everyone in Uranium, but no one could recall the tale of a forgotten girl who apparently joined the choir late. That girl being me. I wish I could remember my life. Was it lively and filled with adventure, was it quiet and shy? I guess now I’ll never know. 

Even so, I shouldn’t be surprised. Death is inevitable, for time eats all his children in the end. 

I’m still disappointed. Am I just another sad forgotten tune? A song that no one knows? If I had to pass, why be left with no family and no friends. Maybe if I knew I had no one in my life, this would be easier. But now I’m left pondering for eternity who I am or who I was. 

But that leaves me wondering.

When silence falls, does no one care? Did I impact someone's life? Did anyone care? Unlikely. You see, there are a few things I can remember.  A solemn saying.

When the lioness has children, she stops making love to the lion. The lion gets jealous, sometimes so jealous he eats the children. You'd think this would upset the lioness; far from it. They make love again like the children never existed. 

I find that idea terrifying.

Maybe something similar happened to me. Acting as if I never existed. I guess I’ll never know.