Chapter 4: Friendship

"Here...this way. Please watch your footing, as this is a steep hill..."

"Right. Thank you."

You increased the pressure of your steps slightly to climb the grassy hill, following the helpful instructions from the guide who brought you to the last leg of your journey.

"This is as far as I can go," they said, "I'll now excuse myself..."

You reached an arm back to feel the knot of your blind, not too snug, but enough to secure your blind in place, and pulled the looser end. The knot unraveled somewhat easily, and you could only catch a small glimpse of your guide's back before they rounded a corner of tall bamboo fencing before they disappeared.

You were led to a small field, a grove of trees off the side, and a pond some ways from the woods. And on the hill you had climbed was a tree standing proudly at the center.

Right next to it, with his hair pulled back into a ponytail and two pieces of dark, silky-looking hair framing his face, was a young man who strongly resembled Oyakata-sama.

It was almost primal, hard-wired in your brain to want to kneel before the appearance of this stranger with such a gentle and kind face. Even knowing that this unnamed man was not the one you had met a few times before, you would be lying to yourself if you did not think that this pleasant and gentle aura was near your lord's exactness. Ergo, this must be the same person, yet they were not. You sincerely doubted that the master could regress in age, appearance-wise.

"You have finally made it," the young man smiled, and you thought you were in a daydream for a second. "I was worried that the journey would be inconvenient, but I am glad you have made it safely and well here."

Your tongue felt heavy and numb sitting in your mouth when you thought of using it.

"I..." you tried to get a handle on your words. "I am doing very well. Please...do not concern yourself with me."

This was confusing for you to wrap your brain around.

He smiled almost toothily, and you intuitively knew then that this was not your master.

"Please, do not say that," he said, puffing air out his nose amusingly. "You are of my utmost concern, along with the others. I ask of you...please do not keep your head low like that."

"I..." you tried to comply with his wishes, gathering the courage to ask. "If I may be so bold to ask... Are you......related...to Oyakata-sama?"

His face lit up as if glad you had inquired.

"We look very alike, don't we?" he mused, bringing a pale hand to his dark hair. You might have missed it before, but now you could tell it was a little longer than the master's. "Much to my chagrin, all my ancestors are closely matching to the previous. You can, perhaps, also call that another curse befallen us."

He chuckled a bit, and it felt a little bizarre and sacrilegious to hear. You almost had to fight the urge to turn away and run back in the direction your guide had gone in.

"I see..." you hesitated, feeling guilty for speaking so openly before someone who resembled the revered master. "What relationship do you have with Oyakata-sama?"

The following sentence hit you like an arrow.

"I am his son."

Son.

Son.

Did the master have a son?

But just looking at him...it was difficult to negate the possibility.