Prologue

This book is PG for fantasy themes, supernatural themes

***

There wasn't any problems to solve. 

Nathaniel Parr waited. 

He looked at the windows.

Spiders fell into the mud outside. 

He sighed, and fell asleep in his bed. 

***

The following morning, a Monday, was January 5, 2022. Children were wearing masks. Some were concerned about the CO_VID 19 virus; some were holding onto the masks when they went to school with their parents. Others were anti-vaxxers and didn't believed that the virus existed---if at all.

Nathaniel didn't care. 

Even if he did, America was now falling into the deep abyss.

'Time for school, Nathaniel', his Mom said.

'Okay, Mom', he said. He had a shower, and was dressed before 7:30 AM. In the kitchen, Nathaniel's parents were eating their breakfast. 'The Castle of the Arcane is going to be an adventure', his Dad said.

'Will it?', Nathaniel asked him. 

'Yes, I paid a lot of money for the Year...and there's all kinds of problems at work', Nathaniel's Dad answered. 

'What kind of problems?', Nathaniel's Mom said.

'Nothing', Nathaniel's Dad sighed.

Then, as Nathaniel ate, the bus arrived by 8:00 AM.

After some good byes, Nathaniel's Mom took her son to the bus. The driver took him, and the other children, to the Castle. 

***

Beth looked at the window.

'Hello, Nathaniel', she said. 

'Hello, Beth. How're you doing?', she asked him. 

'Fine. Science class is cool', he answered. 

'I hate wearing masks', Beth said. 

'Yeah, no magic today', Nathaniel sighed.

And Beth nodded in agreement.

***

Frederick was waiting. 

He didn't wear a mask; he was from the London Anti-Vax League. Like his parents. In the Post-Brexit World, every British child was corrupted by time itself. That, or darkness. But, for Frederick, the darkness had vanished, and the sun's ray fell across the entrance to the castle itself, which was majestic. 

Page 1.