Late Night Confessions

pairing : Stephen Strange x F!reader

synopsis : Stephen ponders about his life as he lays next to reader at night, three words stuck in the back of his throat.

words : 580

themes : angst w fluff

warnings : none

A/N : One of my first fanfiction pieces! I hope that you guys like it <3 Hopefully I'll be posting more and longer stories in the near future. Currently hyperfixating on our boy Benny and two of his characters Dr. Stephen Strange and Patrick Melrose so those might be the type of pieces I'll be posting on here. (And probably a Wanda x f!reader too because why not). Anyway, enjoy!

The moonlight shone through the window as the wind moved the curtains softly, carrying the whispers of the night through the dark bedroom

The moonlight shone through the window as the wind moved the curtains softly, carrying the whispers of the night through the dark bedroom. Entangled in the sheets they laid next to each other. He watched as her chest moved up and down calmly, her breathing lull and quiet. It washed him with an overwhelming sense of peace; one that he thought he'd never feel again.

His life had been chaos, and a lonely one at that. He never really knew how to connect with others after the death of his sister and when he did, he fell into his self sabotaging habits. He pushed everyone away. Even the most patient of people would find their limits when it came to him. He was stubborn, selfish and rude; not to mention egocentric. But thanks to a twist of fate, he was forced to change.

That was something he never thought in a million years he'd do - be grateful for the accident.

At the moment it had been agonizing, crippling. The desperation took control of his life and he did what he did best - he pushed. Stephen thought he had been pushing towards the right direction. He failed to realize that as he was doing so he had also begun to shove. He drove those who cared for him away.

Spiraling down into his own hysteria, blinded by the anguish that enslaved him, he spat those bitter words to the one who swore to be by his side.

Christine deserved better and she knew that.

He knew that.

So he shoved her away.

Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. Everything happened so fast but he was quick to adapt. He had made peace with the thought of being alone for the rest of his life. It was better that way. He had always considered himself to be married to his job anyway. But then she came in. Unannounced and unashamed she walked into the Sanctum and into Stephen's world claiming she had heard a voice calling her.

He was pretty sure he had to thank The Ancient One for that.

And so here they were, years later, besides each other, their bodies melting into one another. His eyes drinking in every part of her and the way the moon seemed to adore her as much as he did. Softly he grabbed her hand, brought it up to his lips and planted a tender kiss on the back of her palm.

"I love you."

It would be an understatement to say that he was terrified of how easy it was to love her. His heart and soul turned prisoners of the feelings that had so easily flourished for the woman that was laying beside him.

The words that had been dancing around in his mind finally came out. They seemed light, barely a whisper, but the weight that they carried could drown a thousand men.

[Y/N] smiled softly and opened her eyes slowly. Half-lidded and heavy with dreams, she sighed as she looked at Stephen's stunned expression. She wrapped her manicured fingers around Stephen's scarred hand, giving it a soft squeeze for reassurance. She mimicked his action and brought his hand to her lips, giving it a loving kiss.

"I love you too."

Simple words that bear a great story. It was at this moment that he realized that she'd always be there. She'd never leave. He had finally met someone who would push right back whenever he tried to shove.