The End of Love

There is no measurement or term that can describe how long 'Death' travelled for. It was a single continuous path, that led to a singular destination, despite any twists and turns that came upon him.

It was with grace that 'Death' floated, his figure soft and weightless, his eyes partially closed, a small smile that turned his lips ever so slightly. For every part of 'Deaths' path he aged, skin wrinkling and growing shallow as his hair greyed, bringing him closer to The End.

"I am happy that I could meet you before The End."

"... how? I did not expect to see you again."

"No, but I wanted to see you."

The figure of 'Love', one that changed for all who lay their eyes upon her, now rested on a form 'Death' knew well, one that he had studied to the finest detail, that of Elicia.

"Why?"

"I did not choose this form."

"I do not understand."

"Love does not need to be understood."

"You are fading..."

"Yes. There is nothing left anymore, no world remains whole, no life, no love..."

"... and no death."

"Wrong. Am I not dying, does it not touch you even a tiny bit, to watch me die?"

'Death' remained silent, not knowing what to say.

"The irony. I have spent an eternity following and learning of love, but always it has stayed out of reach no matter how far I stretch. Despite encountering all kinds of love, I never met my own, because I was afraid that no matter how much I looked for it, it wouldn't look at me. I was there for you, I saw your pain as you lay by Elicia. You who pursue death and hold such a strong love for life have never understood that feeling. I have followed behind you, wanting to tell you of this, to ease the suffering I feel in you. The love that you are unaware of, as mine too goes unspoken. "

'Love's' form drifted closer, "Allow me to be selfish, just this once," with her arms out 'Love' embraced 'Death'.

"It's... warm. I never knew it was so warm."

With a gentle smile 'Love' closed her eyes, her head leaning into 'Death' as her body faded, warm in its final moments.

"Thank you."

Death stayed silent, he had no words, no apology he could give. It was only until 'Love' was completely gone that 'Death' felt a hole grow inside of him, replacing a feeling that he could never acknowledge or speak of.

It was something that even 'Death' himself didn't know how to face. Despite his weightless form 'Death' felt heavier as he moved on once more.

Eager to meet The End.