Seven: Nobody but All

I'm not the sort of person who's afraid of confrontation or too shy to say out loud what's on my mind. But what to say when I don't know what to think? How to behave around the person responsible for my twisted emotional state? As usual, I handled it the only way I knew how: silently and by myself.

As is well known, the problem that is not allowed to unfold does not exist, so this is exactly the tactic I chose. I wasn't going to bother anyone, especially Remus, with my sentiments. I'd already added too many complications to his life.

I was relieved to see that Marilena had returned the next morning since it meant we could get on the road and get back to the godforsaken hole that was Grimmauld Place 12 sooner.

"How good is to see you!" The sorceress welcomed us with open arms. "Come in, come in, warm up."

Compared to our previous meeting, Marilena looked unusually thrilled to see us. Sure, she was just as nice a hostess, but her manner had an openness about it that I hadn't seen before. As if we've known each other for years, rather than only a week.

She arrived with the tea as soon as we sat in front of the fireplace. "You did not become angry at me because I was not available for a few days, I hope. I needed to concentrate on a prophecy and recover my strength."

It took my brain a moment to put her words in the correct order. As much as I was, in fact, offended by her sudden disappearance, I didn't show it. "No, not at all. You're doing us a favor by speaking with us."

There was only the matter of security measures to be discussed, so we didn't stay in the hut too long, I didn't even have time to finish my tea. Marilena was unafraid to address our questions, no matter how bewildering or stereotyped they were.

Remus was considerably more engaged in the conversation than he had been before. I couldn't tell if he thought I wasn't doing a good job and needed assistance or if he finally felt we were a team. I was leaning toward the latter since, after saying farewell to Marilena, she took me away and he expressed a strong want to remain and hear whatever the witch had to say to me.

Marilena was adamant and almost pushed him out the door. "Go away, get out and do not eavesdrop. This is women's business."

As the door shut behind him, she reached into her pocket and thrust a crumpled piece of parchment into my hand, clenching it into a fist before I had a chance to even look at it.

"Do not open it now. Read it only when no one can interrupt you. It is only for you." She was expecting some sort of affirmation from me, and I could only nod my head since I had no idea what was going on. "Good. Do not ask me questions, I can not give you answers."

The unexpected turn of events, as well as the tone with which Marilena talked to me, had me perplexed. It was obvious that the piece of paper held a secret of some sort, and whatever was written on it was important.

"Okay," I croaked when I found my voice. "You have my word, I won't tell anyone."

Marilena flashed a big smile that seemed entirely out of place in the atmosphere she had created. "Excellent. Now go join your partner." As she looked at the door where Remus was undoubtedly waiting, her smile faded and her voice turned cold. "Keep your eye on him."

Surprised by her sudden hostility to the werewolf and not keeping up with her continuous mood changes, I blurted out "Sure thing!" to get out of the hut as soon as possible and get over it.

Remus was right by my side the moment I stepped out of the door. "Everything's okay? What did she want with you?"

I had no excuse prepared, and as promised, I couldn't tell him why Marilena had stopped me. So I clung to humour as a last resort. "If you're a good boy, I'll tell you one day."