IV

"It's over, Sam," Grace finally stated. Rising, she grasped the door handle and stepped into the bedroom. Sam followed her.

Confidently, Grace strolled toward the front door. She swung it open and began to step outside. The wind howled. The fierce squall grabbed the vulnerable door, slammed it against the outside wall, and back into Grace's face. A firm grip on her shoulders pulled her inside. Sam yanked the door closed and bolted it.

Grace's furious scream overpowered the fierce wind. Covering her face, she leaned into Sam's broad chest. He lifted her and carried her back to the closet. They squatted on the plush carpet.

Inadvertently, Grace howled along with the wind. Rocking her toes and heels back and forth, she sobbed. Sam steadied her with loving arms. Gently, he kissed her forehead and whispered words of endearment.

Hour upon hour, the Wilmots squatted. Neither moved.

The wind continued to shriek; the rain beat upon the roof above them. Then, suddenly, silence.

"Listen," Sam whispered, gesturing toward the ceiling.

Grace stared at her husband questioningly. A minute passed, then two, then three. Unexpectantly, she realized what the new silence meant.

"It's over," she mouthed, her voice gone.

Sam nodded vigorously.

"It's over!" Grace shouted, leaping to her feet. "It's over!"