Prologue

The sky was ablaze like raging hellfire, the sun completely blacked out by the darkening crimson clouds above. Black smoke rose from the flames that were burning the city of New Mombasa. The city's people ran screaming, their cries echoing within the streets as they attempted to escape from the invaders that slaughtered everyone they came in contact with. No one was seeming to be spared, shot down by some foreign weapon that the enemy carried upon their physical person. If not a weapon, the larger beasts used their brute strength to pound or ram whatever victim stood in their path of never ending destruction. It didn't matter if it were a man, woman or child, they were all fair game to their cruel assailant.

The people of New Mombasa didn't know who they were or why they had come to their planet waving their guns around. The creatures were foreign to them, yet, they spoke their native tongue along with one that could only be perceived as their home language. Those of New Mombasa had done nothing to provoke these alien invaders, yet here they stood, the victims of their unadulterated attacks. Brothers, sisters, their families were dying right before their eyes, falling in the streets at the blink of an eye. All the while, they waited for their own end to come.

Some had tried to hide in their homes or nearby buildings, others ran in hopes of finding refuge somewhere nearby. Nowhere was safe anymore, the beasts having taken over every inch of the city while slowly conquering the people within it. By the time the marines showed up, death was all that remained within the streets and homes, a massive bloodbath that could have been avoided if they had arrived days earlier. However, with the arrival of the marines came the arrival of what to call their overpowering enemy:

The Covenant.

An alien race of unknown origin, searching for something and not finding it soon enough.

Many had watched the fall of New Mombasa, few had managed to escape and survive it.

In a small corner outside of the city, hidden among the trees and forested vegetation, a small group of survivors huddled together. They sat in waiting for someone to come and save them, all but one person. A young man huddling down behind the larger greenery on a high cliff that overlooked the city below. He had broken away from the group of survivors, watching the enemy scour the city for some unknown prize that they were failing miserably at finding. The marines had only made that more difficult when they had arrived in the city, killing the covenant with any chance they were given. A pensive look sat upon the young male's face while he fiddled with a small data chip between his fingers. A data chip with unknown information upon it.

Seemed to be a running theme as of late: Unknown.

Akito was his name, a young man no older than twenty-one. His short brown hair tussled and messy, eyes as green as sea foam remained pensive. For the briefest of moments, those pensive sea foam green eyes shifted, glancing down at the data chip within his grasp. Curiosity mixed and melded with the pensiveness as he read the four small letters printed upon its face.

UNSC

United Nations Space Command, Earth's military regime. The data chip belonged to them and Akito planned to find out what was on it and return it. That was, if it was worth returning and guaranteed the safety of New Mombasa survivors. A fresh start for those that had suffered the traumatic events that were laying out before them, but in order to do that they had to continue to survive and he had to find some way to meet up wit those marines. . . once he figured out what was on that chip. That alone required him to return to the dangers of the city below, something he wasn't looking forward to doing.