CHAPTER TWO (SAMPLE)

Miranda slapped a thirty-round magazine into the receiver of her rifle and then checked the sky, wary of the impending storm. The air was heavy with the scent of rain that would soon start to fall.

"Everything all right?"

Casey Hicks, her father's best friend and her own personal lifesaver, gave her shoulder a gentle nudge.

Tall and stocky, Casey towered over her petite frame. His soft skin was the color of smoked honey, his gray hair short with a buzz cut, and he had blue eyes.

She'd gained a close relationship with Casey over the years. Maybe it was because he wanted her to succeed. She thanked God every day for this man.

He had not only been a great friend, but a great mentor. He'd always pushed her to do better. If she gave one hundred percent, he wanted one hundred and ten.

"Yeah." She shrugged, desperately trying to look nonchalant.

"I noticed you've been a little distracted today."

"That obvious, huh?" She gave him a weak smile.

"You can fool the others, kiddo. You can't fool me," he murmured, his dark eyes regarding her intently. "What's got you all messed up?"

"Mia." She shook her head and sighed.

"And what's going on with Miss Mia?"

"Well, we were supposed to spend the day shopping together. It was the first time in a while that we could spend some quality time with one another, you know.

"But work sort of got in the way of our plans."

"I take it she got upset?"

"Yeah, she did."

He pursed his lips at her. "She's about that age where she doesn't understand how hard our job is; doesn't understand our schedule. My kids were the same way at her age.

"Even Olivia when we first started dating," he answered as he placed the earpiece into his ear.

"How do you do it with Olivia and the kids?"

"It's hard," he said. "I won't lie. It takes a lot of effort and hard work to make it work."

"I guess this is the part where you tell me it's worth it." She rolled her eyes.

"Look, we're not the only ones with demanding jobs, Miranda," he said. "So you need to ask yourself, what are you really afraid of?"

Casey squeezed her left shoulder before he joined the rest of their team, leaving her alone.

She clenched her jaw tightly. Me? Afraid?

***

"Hey, Hastings," Agent Ruiz called. "Are you sure the intel Tadford received on that informant was good? I don't think they're coming."

Miranda turned her head to Ruiz and glared.

"They'll be here, I'm sure of it," she said as she leaned against the nearest tree. "Any word on Tadford?"

"No, ma'am. Last he checked in he was still at the office running over a few things with the informant," Ruiz confirmed.

Miranda was about to speak when Hicks straightened as he caught sight of their target through his binoculars. "Well what do you know," he said. "Looks like they showed up after all."

"Positions, everyone," Miranda said. "When the exchange is complete between the two parties, we move in."

Everyone nodded eagerly and took up their positions.