01

Aurora Sinclair

therapists & losers

"Tell me what it was like growing up in the spotlight." My new therapist, Clarissa, has been trying to get me to open up to her for the past half hour, and I think that if my parents weren't paying her a quarter of a million dollars, she would've given up 10 minutes ago

"Listen, Clarissa, you seem like a lovely woman, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you every single issue in my life just to ultimately end up stuck in a straight jacket at the local mental institution." I paused, waiting for her response, but when she kept a straight face, I started again.

"I'm not some troubled teen, and I certainly do not need your help. Thank you for your time. You can see yourself out." I said, making sure my point was clear.

She sighed, brushing off her pants before standing up and walking out of the living room and into the kitchen with my mother. I couldn't quite figure out what they were talking about, but I was more than sure it had to do with me needing professional help from someone more than just Clarissa.

"that is utterly ridiculous, and you should be ashamed for even suggesting something like that!" my mother shouted at Clarissa. It sounded like one of those moments that would make you want to quit your job on the spot if you were in her position.

Those moments were usual among people who worked for my mother. I'm pretty sure our last housekeeper told TMZ that "Catherine Sinclair—my mother—is the devil reincarnated." which my mother quickly denied and followed up by making a large donation to some random charity so all would be forgiven.

"she will be sent away to New York for the summer, where she will continue to expand her career as a model and seek help from some of the best psychiatrists money can buy. That is final. You may see yourself out, Clarissa."

my mother spoke without stuttering. That was one of the only things I admired about my mother. She always knew what to say, and even if she didn't, she at least sounded like she did.

"you're sending me to new york?" I asked the second my mom walked into the living room. "God, Aurora, didn't one of the nannies ever teach you that it's rude to eavesdrop on private conversations?" my mother replied, bringing her left hand up to her forehead.

"oh yes, I do recall one of them saying something along the lines of that, right before you fired her for giving me whole milk instead of low fat," I said, my voice laced with sarcasm and built-up resentment.

"I don't have time for your games right now, Aurora. Start packing. Your flight leaves tomorrow morning," she said, rolling her eyes at what I said before. "If you wanted me gone, you could've said that. I'd be more than happy to get away from you." I replied with a fake smile on my face.

"If I had known it'd be that easy, I would've sent you away the second you turned 18." She retorted, returning the fake smile.

"I'm sure you wanted to," I muttered as I climbed the stairs.

[ ]

"Hey, Ro, do you think if I looked at a picture of the sun on my phone, it would hurt my eyes?"

I rolled my eyes at the ridiculous question that my best friend, who was incredibly high off God knows what had just asked. "One can only hope," I replied with a bit of annoyance and a lot of sarcasm adamant in my tone.

I've known my best friend, Rachel, forever, and I don't think our friendship will ever end. Her parents, Adam and Evelyn Walton are almost as wealthy as mine and have been attending all the charity events my parents have hosted since I was a little girl.

"Hey, since you're leaving for a while, we should do something. Rocko let me know that he got a new shipment of pills today. I can totally get some for us." She stated with her fingers crossed, hoping I'd say yes.

"You know I don't do that shit anymore, rach. I mean, that's why I'm being sent to New York, to get better." I sigh, remembering the events of last summer, The events that pushed me to sobriety, The events that made me want to get better.

"Come on, Ro. You're like the only fun person left in orange county, and now you're leaving me? Who's to say I won't spiral while you're gone and kill myself? Just do this one last thing for me, please."

One thing about Rachel is she is incredibly good at manipulating people. I saw through her bullshit years ago, but that doesn't mean I don't have love for her.

Rachel and I are emotionally attached. I've known her for so long and have loved her for even longer that I don't know what I would do without her. She knows me better than I know myself, even though she's manipulative, controlling, jealous, and argumentative. She's my best friend, and if I don't have her, I don't have anyone at all.

"I really can't, Rachel. You know I've been trying my hardest to get better. Why can't you be happy for me?" I asked, genuinely confused about why my best friend wanted to end my sobriety so much.

"Whatever, Ro, call me when you're ready to stop being a fucking loser." She snapped, stomping out of my room and slamming the door once she got out.

"Yeah, well, call me when you're ready to stop being a fucking drug addict! You're the biggest loser of them all, Rachel Walton!" I shouted from my bedroom window as she walked down the street my house was on. I felt slightly proud of myself in that moment for finally standing up for myself.

[ ]

A/N
Words: 1085

well thats a wrap for chapter 1. i swear to you guys it'll get good next chapter this was just an introduction to the book to get you guys hooked (I really hoped it worked)

anyways if you saw the original version of this book no you didn't. but in all seriousness i'm sorry for disappearing and coming back with like a whole new plot lmfao.

i'm so thankful for each and every one of you guys and im here for good now.

love you lots,
-tori