Modified Inspiration - A 'Darklands' Halloween special

As Akansha trudged downhill, she cursed Parth for taking the time off.

The putrid heat of the sun mixed unpleasantly with mud splashing around; even mid October the weather refused to settle into a proper winter. The unpaved path was still flooded from the downpour last night and Akansha's shirt clung to her, wet with sweat.

She shifted her basket to her left hand and rubbed the red imprint it had left on the right one. The lab's only transport vehicle had been sent off for servicing and Parth,  who usually handled the deliveries was gone - a cousins marriage apparently made a valid excuse for a month long leave.

Another glob of mud hurled out of her shoes onto the basket. Another sigh left her as she pulled out one more alcohol wipe; gods forbid the samples were contaminated. October... the demand for the black and grey samples always skyrocketed around this time. Akansha swore these extra deliveries would be the death of her.

Transferring the basket back to her right hand, Akansha jerked her shoulders trying to shift the backpack straps out of where they dug into her shoulders. The van finally came into sight, and warmth flooded her stony limbs. She would not be missing this burden.

"Good afternoon," the driver chirruped, "Wet weather eh? Parth isn't around?"

"He's gone for the week." She answered in a throaty rasp, her throat burning with need. She was sorely tempted to ask if he had any water.

"Alright then ma'am, I'll ready the cages." He opened the screeching van and Akansha's gladly entrusted the basket to his outstretched hand. "Pretty busy season we're having, the stocks usually last much longer".

"Hmm, these and the truck full being sent by the regular route next week should be plenty." Now with the backpack gone too, Akansha's shoulders were only weighed down by the phantom load that still strained it. It was at these times that Akansha wished they could just allow the vans to drive into the facility.

"All settled," The man revved his engine and nodded, "have a good day ma'am! I'll be leaving then."

Nodding at the man, Akansha watched the van drive off into the paved road, the subdued crackling of the critters fading with the distance. They were ready to be set free in the wild, but their brethren in the lab were not. They still needed her care to grow into something that could be cherished. Pulling an arm over her shoulder, Akansha stretched, taking in the sky.  It would be raining again soon. It always rained around 3pm these days.

Akansha turned back, ready to waddle her way over the swampy Hill back into her little paradise.

The mush of the ground mingled with the musk in the air and stripped her chest of its volume as she battled the ground for stable footing. She'd have to wash her boots again, they were caked with mud. Contaminants, so many contaminants. Akansha felt a headache build up as she thought of how long it would take to clean these. The last time she used them was last year and the next time would probably be as far into the future too. They could not possibly be stored dirty, but the staff would not be returning for another two days... if she had to go out again...

No, she would not have to go out again. The chemicals were stocked, the little beauties had everything they needed, and the fridge was full.

Besides, the lab needed her more.

....

Dabbing her wet hair with a towel, Akansha gazed out of the window. The icy cold shower had rejuvenated her as it peeled away the dust from outside. With the strain of today washed down the drain, her mind wandered back to the one waiting in the lab for her. The chilly rain was washing away the debris beyond the walls protecting her. The woody hills were drenched. And in the distance, the greenhouse glowed yellow as the lights glared on, struggling to provide enough light and warmth to the flora within.