14 ࿐ the cruel hand of gods

══════⊹⊱✷⋅⊰⊹══════

══════⊹⊱✷⋅⊰⊹══════

   THE hall was alive with music and laughter. Ale and wine flowed freely, a feast for gods laid out in a heavenly spread before them. Succulent pigs, tender pigeons, golden roasted potatoes and all other delectables to not leave the guests wanting.

Lyra and Daemon sat next to King Jaehaaerys at the high table. It was the first time she had seen the old monarch so content as he watched the merriment unfold before him. The Lord and Lady of Winterfell sat by her side as honoured guests while Prince Baelon sat on his father's other side along with Viserys, Aemma and Rhaenyra.

It had been a successful and blissful union of their houses.

As Daemon was engaged in conversation with his grandfather, Lyra was greeted by the guests. One was a Lannister, going by his flaxen hair, and the other was most likely a Tyrell from his fay-like features.

"We would like to congratulate the Lord and Lady of Winterfell on such a joyous occasion," the Lannister said, bowing graciously.

"And of course, the bride as well," the Tyrell lordling added. "You are positively glowing, my lady, it would be the entire realm's delight to have you crowned as the queen of love and beauty at the upcoming tourney."

"Yes, there is no other fit for such a title," the Lannister also said. "The entire realm will sing praises of your beauty for years to come."

Lyra smiled at them. "Thank you, my lords."

"I do not suppose you remember me," the Lannister started, "though we had met before in the summer tourney."

She nodded dumbfoundedly. "I apologise, my lord, I cannot say that I do." She glanced at her father who was fighting to keep a laugh from his face.

"Yes, Tymond here, had fallen off his horse during the jousting," the Tyrell told her, slapping his hand lightly on the other's shoulder. "I would not blame you for forgetting, my lady."

The man named Tymond Lannister shot him an irritated glare. "Well, do not forget to mention to Lady Lyra that you had been knocked off your horse too, Matthos, then threw up on your squire."

Matthos Tyrell went quite red. "I had taken a blow to the stomach, Tymond, unlike you!"

"That is because the horse bucked me off!" Tymond argued.

Lyra felt a hand wrap around hers and she looked to her left. Daemon was now observing the two men with a frosty glint in his austere eyes. "As I recall it, my lords," he interjected, "was it not I who knocked the both of you off your horses that day?"

Both Tymond and Matthos stopped their bickering at once and nodded stiffly at the prince.

"My prince, congratulations on your marriage," Tymond said in a very formal manner.