Running as Fast as I Can

DAVID

The Three Legged Track Run!"

I was a bit shocked. It was only the first event, and we had to run an entire 400m track?

" Everybody, go to your partner and tie your legs together. We're fonda five you all a color scheme. This color scheme will define which color your ties, clothes, shack, and (possibly) hair will be. Also, for the men, please take off your shoes and shirts."

Well, that was even more shocking. And of course we got the worst colors two boys could have, purple and pink. Now to be honest, I LOVE PURPLE. But I'm not sure I would want to show that in front of 49 other children.

"I'll take pink. You can take purple.", James said.

We were given 3 ties and 2 shorts. The ties were purple-pink in color, while there was 1 purple and 1 pink short.

After changing and tying, we all lined up at the starting line.

"Quick disclaimer: a gun will be shot to start the race.",James whispered. Thank God my partner joined many track runs.

"3, 2 1, GO!"

A gun was shot. Despite the fact that James had told me, I was still startled and lost my balance, causing both of us to fall. Then I got up and ran, forgetting about James, and fell again.

"Sorry, James."

"It's okay", James said, "we all make mistakes.

We hot nack up and went with the plan. We were able to pass a lot of other teams, but we were still behind a lot.

"Should we go faster?", I asked.

"Be patient. Soon enough they will fall, and we can pass them."

He was right. People started falling like dominos and we passed quite a lot. Soon enough we were in the Top 10.

However, our run didn't last long. Halfway through the track, James accidentally stepped on my foot. Out of pain and confusion, I hit James and ran out of control. He was pulled along and we both fell to the ground. What was worse, we couldn't get up back on our feet and continued falling everytime we stood up. Out position dropped to 25th. We finished the track at 35th.

After the track, we went back to our cabin with legs tied together. It seemed as though we forgot our own plan.

"Sorry for what happened out there. If I was careful about where I was stepping, we wouldn't end in such a bad position. We didn't even make the Top Half.", James sorrowfully apologized.

"No, it should bee who's apologizing. I acted too violent when you stepped on my foot, and that caused us to lose." I apologized back.

"I will try to look where I am stepping next time.", said James.

"And I'll try not to hit anybody.", I joked. We both laughed.

"Wanna go get some food?", James asked.

"Yeah, why not?"

We walked to the store and joked about our failure today while eating. And for the 1st time in my life, I truly felt like I had a friend.