Chapter 1

i looked down at my test results of HOM (history of magic). i felt disappointed in myself. i studied so hard for this test and still i barely got an acceptable grade. i just couldn't remember it on the test. putting the piece of parchment in the pocket of my robe i head t dinner. I've been sulking over that piece of paper since class ended.

ill surely have another talk with snape about the grade. the typical look of sympathy and then new studying methods, it's been like that since school started. studying in the middle of the night in the common room careful to not wake anyone. just to be able to keep up with everyone else and my tests. it's exhausting and i have semi-permanent black circles underneath my eyes.

dinner was warm mushy potatoes with gravy and a meat patty. i poked at my food while my fellow housemates were telling each other the latest drama. i didn't really care for friends. i didn't have time for them if i wanted to make it out of Hogwarts without drowning in my grades. 

dinner went by in a blur and sooner than later i was sitting in my dorm room again staring at the piece of paper. glancing up at the time and I've been staring at it for hours. i sigh, quietly ofcourse cause I'm sure that my room mates will kill me if i wake them at 12:23 in the morning. 

i grabbed my HOM books and tiptoed to the common room. before i rounded the corner i heard someone softly wimpering. as if they were in pain. glancing around the corner and i saw a hump of heaving blankets on te couch.

from this angle i couldn't see who it was. so, i softly walked towards the couch. putting my books down on the coffee table with a soft thump. and immediately the blankets stilled. i then noticed the head now poking out from under the blankets. 

it was the one and only Slytherin prince Draco Malfoy. i pretended to not be surprised and studied his face.

he had red blotched all around his face and around his eyes it was damp, and his nose was runny. his eyes where wide while he was looking at me. i saw the wall go up behind his eyes. "Who are you?" he sounded angry. but i knew better than that. he felt humiliated that someone saw him cry so he masked it with anger. "Kathy" it was quiet. and he was looking at me with a glare. i didn't know how to comfort him since i didn't really know him at the time

so, i just offered him a small smile. sitting down on the couch with a nice book. the fire was going in the chimney, and it offered a bright enough glow to read. i knew he was going to say something else so i opened the book and pretended to read. 

i felt his eyes stare into me, but i ignored them. i wouldn't talk until he did. because right now i had no clue what to say. 

"i know you aren't reading" his voice sounded hard and stiff. forced most likely. 

what was i supposed to say to that 'yeah i was waiting for you to say something cause i didn't know what to say?' no, id sound like a complete friendless lozer. 

"Your eyes arn't moving" at this i looked up. we made eye contact. 

"don't pity me" there it was again, the harshness. i turned back to my book.

"it's okay to cry, i won't tell anyone if that's what you think" and with that there were no more words said.

it was just quiet for the evening. Draco staring at the fire and me pretending to read a book. i felt weird studying with someone watching me.