The Parable from Mansion of Bennu (ENG)

Ninety days and ninety nights took Tefnakht, the son of Hondo, the wandering to Heliopolis. Guided by Bennu and by his unbridled curiosity, he overcame any obstacle to stand in front of the Great Ennead, to see their divinity for himself. Half kilometre long, rectangular shrine extended in front of him in the heat of desert sun. The Bennu bird, having led him to the final destination, sat on the holy Ished tree and folded his tired wings. From now on, Tefnakht had to go alone. He stepped the threshold of the temple to find himself inside the shrine, which emanated with unknown power. Golden dust filled the air.

Inside a chamber full of symmetrical columns, obelisks and hieroglyphs, on nine thrones sat the Great Ennead; Shu, Geb, Nut, Tefnut, Nephthys, Seth, Isis, Osiris, and in the middle – the god of creation himself, Atum. All gods turned their both animal and human faces to Tefnakht, and did not seemed confused by his bold entrance.

– For all the labours one has overcame, one shall speak what one demand. The Gods are listening. – Declaimed Atum's human face.

– I, Tefnakht, the son of Hondo, came here to be flooded with holy glare of your sacred being. If you indeed are almighty, there is nothing you cannot do. – With no humility whatsoever, he declaimed all behests he came here with. Surprisingly, Gods remained strangely calm.

– Shu, the powerful Windgiver! Calm dreadful squalls and guide my boat so I - with no map nor compass - can visit all the lands I had devastated to undo my bad deeds. – Tefnakht told Shu, the god with lion's face, his first request. But Shu's faces responded with silence. With no results, Tefnakht turned to Geb, the god with bird's beak.

– Geb, the Patron of land's fertility! Let all the crops grow in winter two times faster, so they can feed all the people I have been feeding on. – With no response from Geb, Tefnakht turned to Nut, the goddess with cow's head.

– Nut, the Goddess of azure sky! Grab all the glistening stars on your body and put them in a clay vase for me, so I can pay my debts with them. – Not a word left her human mouth, no star got into Tefnakht's hands. However, he was not discouraged by refusals.

– Tefnut, Goddess of water, call enormous rains and hydrate lands I had fought with fire. Soothe all the lives I had burnt there! – But both Tefnut human and lion's face responded with dead silence.

– Oh, Nephthys, The Lady of night and mourning! Find all malefactors I worked with, let them sleep a nightmare, and after waking up make them mourn continuously nine days, so new tributaries of the Nile come into being out of their tears.- Silence.

– Seth, the Ruler of darkness! From yarn of stormy clouds weave me a long dark coat with which I shall cover my evil deeds. – But Tefnakht received no coat.

– Isis, the mother of all! – he spoked to Isis, goddess with kite's beak. – Let nine hundred sons be born to me. Give them two pairs of legs, which will stamp out the memory of their inglorious father. – Isis faces remained still. Tefnakht tried with Osiris, the god with jackal's head.

– Osiris, the lord of death! Put together all the pieces of people I dismembered. Unfold their mummy bandages and anew breathe life into every soul I killed. – No word could be heard, no change could be seen. Tefnakht was left with one last chance. Tefnakht became more and more disappointed. Then he desperately spoked to the oldest, the almightiest of all the gods; Atum, the god with bull's head.

– Atum, the God of all! Make other gods fulfil my wishes, only then I shall call you almighty. – But Atum said no word.

Instead, he turned his bull's head to him, and simply bellowed, as if he was a wild animal. And after every god in the chamber started to roar, moo, bark, hoarse, scream, the only thing that could be heard was incomprehensible noise of god's animal faces.