Dinner

Alice was looking over a map of the world and writing in her journal in her new study one evening when she heard her mother's voice calling her from downstairs.

"Alice? Could you come down here for a moment?" Helen called.

"Coming, mother." Alice called back before heading downstairs.

When she made it downstairs, Alice was surprised to see James Harcourt standing in the parlor with her mother. He smiled at her when he met her gaze.

"Mr. Harcourt?" She asked.

"Good evening, Miss Kingsleigh." James greeted with a bow of his head.

"What brings you here?" Alice asked after politely nodding her head. "Is something the matter?"

"No, nothing is wrong, ma'am. I was in the neighborhood and I just thought I would pay you and your mother a visit."

Alice smiled a sly smirk and raised a curious eyebrow at him. James smiled and chuckled under his breath at her reaction.

"What? Can't a simple employee just drop by his employer's home just to say 'hello' ...and possibly even converse for a short period of time?" He asked.

Alice giggled as she said, "Of course he can. And don't worry, you're always welcomed here."

"Well thank you very much, Miss Kingsleigh."

"Please, Mr. Harcourt; just Alice would be fine."

"Oh, yes. Of course... Alice. And you should know that you're welcomed to just call me James if you'd like."

"Very well, James... You know, my mother and I were about to have supper in a few minutes. Would you... care to join us?"

"What? Oh no, I wouldn't want to impose—"

"Oh no, it's no problem. Is it, mother?"

"Of course not. No problem at all." Helen replied with a smile.

"Oh. Well... in that case, I'd love to."

That evening, James stayed for supper and surprisingly, he and Alice had a wonderful time together. They talked, joked, and laughed up a storm; they told each other stories, shared their interests and tales of their past. They talked for almost an hour about their favorite books alone. After a while, James was getting ready to go home.

"I've had a great time tonight, Alice." He said as he went to grab his coat.

"I have too, James." Alice replied. "I hope we can do this again soon."

"...Me too."

"Oh! Before you leave, do you need a ride home? I'm sure I could—"

"Oh, no; there's no need. My house isn't very far, I can just walk."

"If you say so."

"Alright. Well... I shall see you at work?"

"See you at work."

With a smile and a quick nod, James opened the door and walked out into the night. Alice smiled and quickly waved goodbye to him before slowly closing the door. She looked back at her mother who had a conspiratorial look in her eyes and a sly grin on her face; Alice's smile quickly faded at the sight.

"What?" Alice asked, raising a confused eyebrow.

"Nothing..." Helen replied. "Just that Mr. Harcourt likes you."

"You mean James? Oh please." Alice scoffed with a chuckle.

"No. I'm serious, dear. I immediately noticed the way he looked at you when he left; I could see it in his eyes."

Alice was speechless at what her mother was telling her right now; a blush suddenly started to form on her cheeks.

"What on Earth are you talking about, mother?" She asked.

"Nothing. I'm just saying that you might want to consider... another venture." Helen replied.

"Another venture? Do you mean...?"

Alice finally caught on with what her mother was trying to say; she shook her head before looked back at Helen with wide eyes.

"Mother, you can't possibly mean that I... I mean if... you can't mean—" Alice stuttered.

"I can and I do." Helen interrupted. "You are acting the exact same way your sister Margaret did when she first met Lowell. I can see it right now: the nervous grin, the bashful demeanor, the dopey giggle... AND you're blushing right now. Have you not noticed that?"

Alice looked away from her mother in embarrassment as she tried to cover her cheeks.

"I-I, um..." She stuttered, unable to find the right words.

Suddenly, Alice turned on her heels and briskly walked up the stairs to her bedroom without saying another word. Helen was left standing in the living room by herself, looking at the stairs dumbfounded at her youngest daughter's abrupt reaction.

"Um... Alright, then. Goodnight, dear." Helen called uneasily.

Alice shut the door to her bedroom and ran her hand through her messy yellow hair before letting out a deep sigh.

"What is Mother thinking?" She muttered before walking over to her bed

As Alice lay on her bed, she stared up at the ceiling; her mother's words were buzzing around in her mind like a swarm of angry bees. She turned onto her side and looked out the window; the waxing moon was casting a faint, pale light onto everything through the glass. As she gazed at the light, her eyelids suddenly felt very heavy as if a powerful sleep spell was suddenly cast upon her. Before she knew it, Alice had drifted off to sleep.