Enny Meeny Minny Mo That Hoe

The bass of the speaker thrummed through my body, the beat causing a roar of approval through the mass of people. Several arms filling the air as each person belted out the lyrics as if their lives depended on it.

"You wanna get another drink?"

Jolting back into reality, I turn to face the owner of the voice, grimacing at the notion of yet another Whiteclaw entering my stomach. My liver pleading that I decline, while my tequila hazed mind encourages another drink. At seeing my expression she cracks a grin rolling her eyes, the purple hue of the room reflecting off her brown skin.

"So ginger ale?"

"You know me so well."

Smiling she links our arms leading us through the mess of tangled bodies in the direction of the kitchen. Ebony Davis, my best friend and partner in crime. Her stride long and fulled with the confidence. She was a current starter for the women's volleyball team, towering above me at a height of 5'10. Her aura drawing attention and demanding respect thus making it much easier than I expected to make it through the crowd.

Well a mix of that, and the fact that this is her boyfriends townhouse and she knows its layout like the back of her hand.

When we get to the kitchen the change in temperature is one I welcome with sweaty arms. Being out of the crowd makes the headache I've been ignoring surface yet again, and the change in lighting makes me realize I'm drunker than I initially thought. The rummaging in the fridge pulls my attention back to Ebony just in time for her to toss me a bottle of ginger ale, grabbing herself a Whiteclaw that she holds against her flushed cheek, before joining me at the counter.

Huffing out a sigh, I lift my hair placing the cool bottle against the back of my neck praying that it cools me down faster.

"You need to tell lover boy to turn the air up."

"He's just gonna say 'that's as high as it goes'," she mimics his deep voice before dissolving into laughter.

As if on cue, the sliding door to the backyard opens and a grinning Aiden stumbles into the house. His gaze set on Ebony as his smile somehow manages to grow even larger striding over towards us. Despite her claiming she's mad at him, her lips twitch into a small smile at the sight of him.

"Y'all are sickeningly cute," I mutter, a smile breaking across my face when Ebony gently shoves me.

"You still mad at me?" He questions pulling her into a hug, his 6'5 height managing to make her look small. His ivory skin contrasting against her darker skin tone. Wriggling in his embrace her nose scrunches as a half scowl dawns her face.

"Why are you hugging me when you're sweaty," she whines, grumbling when he tightens his embrace before finally letting her go. He swiped the hair tie off her wrist before tying his inky Black hair into a tiny ponytail that Ebony snorts at.

Finally turning to me, he smiles which I half-heartedly return.

"You look like you're about to puke," he chirps

"I just need to take a breather for a few,"

Nodding he tilts his head in the direction of the staircase.

"You can chill in my room if you want, may be a little messy but it's quieter up there."

Ebony looks back to me, eyebrows knitted with concern, her eyes swimming with the question 'do you want to go home'. But with the week that she's had, with both a econ exam from hell and a tough loss in their last game, the last thing I want is to end her night early because of one too many free tequila shots.