007 ━ snow on the beach

CHAPTER SEVEN
━━ i can't speak afraid to jinx it
i don't even dare to wish it
but your eyes are flying saucers
from another planet
now i'm all for you like janet
can this be a real thing?

Bradley Bradshaw laid sleepless that night.

A haze of confusion plagued his mind as he stared up at the ceiling of the house the Navy rented for the callbacks. That afternoon on the beach was fun, possibly the most he'd had in a while since they got here. But instead of the fun time he spent playing football with the team, he could only think of her.

She felt so familiar at times, and he couldn't figure out why. Was it déjà vu? Or was it the sense of comfort she gave him that made him start to think of nonexistent memories? Oh, but they did exist.

Bradley shot out of bed and towards the shoe box he brought with him everywhere. He kept it under the dresser, settling himself on the floor as he plucked the courage to dig through his memories. He used to be one to take polaroids and keep them close— he was sentimental that way. Though, ever since the fallout with Maverick, he seemed to have grown out of this habit. That didn't stop him from bringing the old polaroids everywhere he went.

Setting the cover aside, he sat cross-legged on the floor with his back leaning against the end of his bed. His father came up first; matching moustache like the one he wore now as he held a young Bradley over his shoulders and running through the rain. His mother took this, when they were happier than ever. Life was complete then— he missed it.

Eventually he got to the bottom of the pile, the pictures he hardly visited. He recognised it as a diner that had long since closed in Miramar, he was a teenager then, that followed Maverick everywhere he went whenever he could. That day, his uncle brought him out to meet a friend— Iceman was laughing his heart out in the picture with Maverick as Bradley sat next to his uncle. His brows knitted slightly as he looked at the girl next to the Admiral— the one with the pretty green eyes and candy smile that he'd never forget. He remembered when they'd play together and were attached at the hip. God, he wanted to see her again.

It was only now that he saw a striking resemblance to someone else he knew. His brows shot up, lips parting the slightest bit. Nah, he was possibly imagining things— but wasn't it worth the try?

He should at least check, right?

Reaching above his head onto the bed, he grabbed his phone and instantly opened his camera roll. There was a picture of the squad out at the Hard Deck, with Maverick and Snake sitting with them as well. He zoomed in on Sage, holding his phone and polaroid up next to each other and squinting his eyes as if to get a better look.

It was times like these he wished he had those helpful machines with the technology to age up a picture and make a cross reference. Even then, he could see it. A part of him wondered if he was grasping at straws but the other part knew his eyes won't lie.

His hands dropped onto his lap as he found himself staring to the ceiling again. Gods be good— he found everything he had been subconsciously looking for.

Lieutenant Commander Sage Ruiz is the girl with the pretty green eyes and candy smile.