4. Dinner is ready

Ella sat at the round table. It was already settled for three; cutlery, plates, glasses and cloths for napkins. Probably Furlan got it ready while she was having a bath. He was extremely efficient. Ella waited for Furlan to come back from the kitchen with some food, but Levi entered the room first. Furlan's head popped out the kitchen door and welcomed his friend happily. Levi looked at her with displeasure and then he headed to the kitchen, where he slammed the door after him, angrily. Even though the door was closed, Ella could hear both men speaking.

"Why is she still here? I think I told you to get rid of her." She heard Levi speaking.

"Not here, she could hear us." Furlan whispered. She heard how Levi replied to him, but she could not get what he said this time.

"Now I get it... That is why you were on the sofa last night. She slept in your room, didn't she? Damn it, Furlan. We don't know her; we cannot trust the brat. You must not trust her." Levi added with certain disappointment in his voice. Tears filled her eyes after overhearing their conversation. Is that really how they see her? Just an untrustworthy homeless brat.

"Yes, Levi. She slept here because she has nowhere else to go, you know how is living here in the underground better than anyone. She got injured and I helped her out. I couldn't just leave her there! Wouldn't you just do the same?" Ella could feel how Furlan was talking louder, he was probably getting upset with the argument. Levi mumbled something inaudible again.

"Whatever she consumes will come out of my expenses, so do not worry about that part. Now try to be nice for once, please."

When the two young men came back to the living room, Ella was whipping her tears from her face, hoping that both men did not notice she was crying. Furlan asked her what was the problem to which she replied that she hurt her ankle again. None of them believed that poor excuse. An uncomfortable silence filled the space.

"Well then..." Furlan said trying to break the ice. "Let's all have some dinner. I am starving..." He continued, serving everyone's plates. Everything felt so forced in the environment and Ella thought she should have stayed in the room.

"So...Levi, how was work today?" Furlan asked, trying to make the conversation flow. Levi looked at him, sceptical.

"Work?" He frowned.

"Yes, you know what I mean..." Levi understood why Furlan was talking that why. He did not want the woman to know what they actually were, or what they did for living. And he had told Furlan that he shouldn't trust her... Poor brat, she does not know anything. He thought to himself. 

"If by "work" you mean "that", it was just like always." Levi responded sarcastically, highlighting the words with his fingers. Furlan kicked Levi under the table. Again, the room remained silent, but it was Levi who broke it this time.

"So, how did you two meet again?" Levi asked trying to catch one of them lying. Furlan and Ella looked at each other, wondering what they should say. Ella blushed and looked down inviting Furlan to talk about their encounter. Furlan cleared his throat before talking, something he used to do before lying. 

"As I told you, I was here around here and I saw how Ella slipped, so I helped her. Her ankle was swollen, that is why I brought her here to get some rest..." Furlan added. He knew Levi would not fall for his lies. They knew each other really well, but at least he was answering his question.

"Ah, I see...." Levi responded sarcastically. "I think I saw a lot of blood yesterday for just a sprained ankle. Levi replied looking at Furlan with his cold stare.

"I felt over, and I got scratches on my legs. That is where the blood came from." Ella spoke timidly. Levi studied her face for a moment, making Ella lose her breath for a second at his penetrant stare.

"Oh, now it all makes sense." Levi said with his terrible humour. Furlan felt the tension in the room, so he tried changing the subject by offering some dessert. Levi just hissed indifferently and left the room, excusing himself saying he was not hungry. Ella was still looking down, feeling guilty for the whole situation as she knew Levi wouldn't be behaving that way if she was not there.

"Are you ok?" Furlan asked her kindly. He approached her with an apple and put his hand on her shoulder. Ella shuddered at Furlan's soft touch. 

"Just don't." He said offering the apple to her.

"Don't what?" She genuinely asked.

"Don't blame yourself for his behaviour. The only one to blame is him. Don't worry, he will be fine in a couple of days." Furlan reassured her.

"But he does not want me around and I don't want to give you trouble. You already helped a lot, and for that I thank you." She said firmly. Furlan looked at her, surrendered at her stubbornness.

"And what do you suggest? Leaving in your condition? You are injured and, do not hate me for this but, you could not even make it from the bathroom to the room earlier on. Out there you are an easy target for everyone, besides you have nowhere to go..." He tried talking some sense to her.

Ella blushed at Furlan's comment about her clumsiness. Then she bit her lip while thinking of something to reply back but damn, he was right. The day before, when she was in good condition she got caught easily. If she would choose to leave at that moment, she wouldn't stand a chance.

"Come on, just stay a bit longer. Until you can walk again, yeah? Then you can go wherever you want." Furlan added smiling. Ella hesitated for a second, then she understood that that was her only option. She nodded at him obediently and, thanked him again for his hospitality.