16. Facing The Music

Iris

I've lost count of the days that have gone by. I know it's been more than a week but I can't wrap my head around how much more time has passed since. The sound of the pen hitting the floor as it falls off my ear makes me jump, breaking my thoughts. My coworker giggles at me but continues working on her computer as she raced against her own clock. Lucy is a little uptight but the only other person I talk to on occasion in here. 

The day flew by as I finished up the paperwork I had piled up and acquired a new client. The office is a bit of a mess with holidays around the corner but for me, it's what I need. The infighting between Alex and Demetrius is consuming the house on top of everyone being on edge waiting for Liber's next attack.

I look at the time and click my teeth when I see the digital numbers change to the new hour. It's seven in the evening and I haven't had dinner nor have I spoken to Kristofer. My desk is still riddled with paperwork that I need to finish for tomorrows team to take to court. And I haven't finished the edits.

"Okay, a trip to the deli it is." I mutter as I grab my coat and step out into the bitter cold. The wind howls its icy breath and pushes against my efforts to walk straight but it's doing a great job in clearing my mind. Either that or I have an extreme case of brain freeze.

"Hate the winter," I mumble to myself. The deli lights appear in the distance. Luckily its only a five minute walk from the office but when its winter, the treacherous walk on frozen toes feels like an hour journey through the arctic, barefoot like a hobbit.

"Good evening Iris." The deli clerk calls out from behind the counter.

"Evening, Bernie. Can I get a coffee?"

"Just a coffee?" Bernie hovers his hand over the paper cups neatly stacked by the coffee machine waiting for a response.

"No, gimme todays special too. Whatever you got." I smile and rub my hands to warm them up.

"Another late night? You know hun, you shouldn't work too hard. You look thinner every time I see you." Bernie shakes his head and hands me the coffee.

"C'mon Bernie. You know that the office will fall apart without me." I chuckle. He is such a sweet old man.

"Okay, here you go, meatball sub with extra cheese and extra marinara on the side".

"Thanks. How much I owe ya."

"$6.75 should do the trick." Bernie laughs.

"Okay, have a good night and say hi to Geraldine for me." I step back into the freezer that is the night and make my way back to the office. I sip my coffee along the way as it makes the walk a bit more bearable. It warmed my quivering lips and hands.

Skittering catches my ears. My eyes dart around and I stop to looking for whatever made that sound. Cars drive by and people walk to and from, all shivering in their coats but nothing seems out of the ordinary. I speed up and take out my keys to the office building. Another swoosh and skittering catches my ear. I drop my keys in freight and look around again before picking them up.

I go to open the door but the lock is broken. Slowly I push the heavy glass door and step into the building. With slow careful steps, I walk with my back against the wall. My heart is thumping louder than my boots. Clanking and papers shuffling grow louder as I turn towards the open door that leads to my office.

I stop, too scared to look inside.

"I know that's you Iris."

My blood turns cold. Why is he here? Why now when I am alone? Reluctantly I turn into the office and find Liber sitting in my chair making a mess of the paperwork I had so diligently organized. What did he do with Lucy?