Let the Battle Play

An empty maze sits stills against the ominous black clouds hanging over it. Clanging steel echoes along the moss-covered walls.

"Again!" Zagan demands. She stands firm holding the saber's end at Norma. The blade perched low enough for her neck to feel the cold steel. Norma sighs and lowers her sword that was pointed at Zagans boot. 

She places the sword into her saber and rolls away leaving a sandy cloud.

"Better defense is to run away when you can't defeat them in the first battle," she said throwing the blade onto the floor.

"Let's see how well you can hold you're ground against a regular fist," she said bringing her fist to her palm.

Her fangs shown bright against the red moon as she raised her outstretched hand and beckoned Norma to fight.

Norma pulled herself up. Her messy hair contained autumn leaves. She wiped her lips and sputtered out bits of dirt. She shook her head.

"Pft.Hold on. Zagan. I got some dirt in my eyes. Ow!" Norma said stumbling forward near Zagan.

"Any time now, Norma. If we weren't on the same team, I'd kill you," Zagan said shaking her head at her friend stumbling around. 

Norma nodded. Her lips hid a smirk, and when she bent down to grab her shirt to clear out the dirt.  Her hands grabbed a pile of sand. She turns like a whip to Zagan standing wide with her face in a monologue.

Warm sand spurts from her fingers towards the vampire's wide eyes. 

"Agh! My eyes! Why you!" Zagan said trying to rub out the dirt from her eyes. Norma evades the vampire's swaying movements. Her breaths come in pants, while she leans against the wall. She eyes the Vampire's uneven walk. 

Norma charges forward and tackles Zagan's midsection. Both of them land with a cloud of dust blooming in their wake.

"Surprise attack. When you least expect it. Also, the sand is not real," Norma said getting up from the ground. 

"Yeah. Well, I was playing it up for dramatic effect," Zagan replied wiping her red face. She throws the sand away that sparkles.

The book lays with the pages glowing blue in the center of the field. 

"Next time it's going to be a boxing ring. Where you can't run or hide, Norma. You're magic should come in handy" Zagan said lifting the book up.

"Don't worry. I have a degree in paranormal phenomena and magic shenanigans. I'll be ready," Norma said walking up to the vampire. 

Pink streamers began to pop around the mossy maze. 

"Zagan? Are we doing another round? I mean I could do another 10 minutes. But it's pushing the schedule," Norma said.

"No. It's strange. I didn't write anything about a celebration," Zagan said looking at all the pink decorations displayed on the walls. 

"Ugh. Pink doesn't go well in bloody arenas. Violet is more my style. I'll rewrite this," she said placing her clawed finger into the book. She is flung back with her hand covered in black soot. 

"Zagan!" Norma runs over to check on the vampire. 

"I'm okay," she said giving a small smile.

"We can't touch it without getting hurt. I could only read a small paragraph. Did you lend the book to someone because someone wrote a 'Badyah's Fanfic: Her Eyes only," Zagan said. She raises her eyebrows in confusion. 

"What the heck is a fanfic? Or is this a human thing," she asked Norma. 

"Nope. I am not explaining. I know what might've happened. We need to," her words are cut off as Zagan shoves Norma out of the way of a giant castle erupting from the ground.

"Why is there a replica of my castle, except with a lot of pink? Red is much better," she critiqued.

"Whatever this is. The book must still be activated from the last user," Norma's eyes go wide.

"Badyah had the book before," her words are silenced.

Rose petals flood the battlefield in swirls. Zagan and Norma gaze into each other's eyes leaning closer, while in front of the castle.