Chapter 39

"So get this, it's his first wife's house!" Amy announced as the girls sat around the booth. It was the middle of the night, but they all agreed to meet at Becky's family restaurant. They would have met earlier in the night, but Becky's parents stay up late which made it hard for her to grab the restaurant keys.

"Wait, what?" Dinah scoffed before she drank more of the horchata. 

"Yeah!" Amy laughed. "Can you believe it? The wife that was killed in front of him grew up in Pumpkin Lake! How did we not even think of this?" She continued to laugh.

"I mean it makes sense now." Normani thought over the situation. "I mean, she's the reason that he's even trying to kill us and our parents, so why wouldn't he go hide in her childhood home? It's his last salvation."

"You know, I won't lie. I do feel bad for Kyle." Amy announced. The others were quick to make comments about how he didn't deserve any sympathy, but the pregnant teen ignored them and continued speaking. "No, listen. This is what ties Kyle to Pumpkin Lake."

------------Kyle's Backstory-----------

"But dad, there's a pumpkin patch near our house. Why'd we have to drive all the way over here for one." Kyle kicked a rock as he and his dad walked around the edge of the water in search of a good pumpkin for them to take home. There seemed to be hundreds all around them, but none of them seemed good enough for his dad.

"Oh come on, son." His dad laughed at him before wrapping an arm around the smaller frame. "Just because you're 12 now doesn't mean we're going to stop coming here to pick out pumpkins. If anything you should be happier since you're old enough to carve it yourself."

"Dad, that's for babies." He mumbled back before picking up a rock and trying to skip it over the still water in front of him.

"Yeah, well, you'll always be my baby boy." His dad ruffled his hair before looking around and smiling when he noticed a pumpkin worthy of bringing home. "I'm taking this one to the truck for myself!" His dad yelled out as he cut the stem off. "You keep looking around until you find one you think your mom will like and one for yourself." Kyle only rolled his eyes and watched as his dad picked up the large pumpkin with a wide grin. "I'll grab us some food and jerky from the town. Wait for me by my truck once you pick them out." 

"Fine." The twelve year old mumbled before turning around and continuing to walk down the shore. He didn't care much for pumpkin searching anymore. He did love it when he was younger, but now? Well, he was more interested in smashing them. 

After a good ten minutes, he stopped walking and decided to just pick out whatever pumpkins he could find so that they could be on their way home. There were a lot of pumpkins, but the one that caught his eye was sat perfectly on an old wooden dock. It was perfectly ugly. It was going to be for Halloween anyways so why would it need to look pretty? He began to hop over the field of perfectly shaped pumpkins.

"You're mine." He mumbled before he picked it up from the dock.

"That's actually mine!" He heard a voice ring out. He looked up from the pumpkin in hands to see who the voice belonged to. At the sight of her, Kyle felt butterflies rumble in his tummy. There, stood a girl around his age with long blonde hair, freckles, a dirty dress with black boots, and the meanest look on her face. She was glaring down at him as she stood on top of the deck. The deck reached Kyle's waist, making him have to squint his eyes when the sun got too bright. "Give it back. There's plenty of others for you to grab."

"But I like this one." He managed to speak as he placed the pumpkin back on the wooden deck.

"Well I claimed it already, so go away." She said before kneeling down and picking up the warted pumpkin.