32 | preparations

Ezra's pack was a whirlwind of commotion with all the preparations for the Werewolf Committee's impending arrival

Ezra's pack was a whirlwind of commotion with all the preparations for the Werewolf Committee's impending arrival. With the news that Apollo's blood was the source of the Ferals, the Committee moved the hearing to Solaris. While Apollo was now completely healed, the Committee did not want to take any chances of something going awry on the way to Canada. Instead, the Committee would be coming to Solaris, where the hearing would be held in one of the many buildings in Solaris.

Solaris' alliances from all over the world were set to travel in the next three days to aid in support of Ezra's argument to the Committee. With such an influx of visitors, Ezra planned a party — a ball — to occur the night before the hearing as a way to ease tension and bring opposing sides together for one night. That was until the next day when the Committee was set to commence and was on the way to making a final decision on whether or not rogues should be eradicated.

While the opposing party was said to be invited, from what I could gather — hearing bits and pieces from Ezra's pack members when they didn't notice me listening — few and far between were actually set to give a convincing counterargument. Some of those opposing Ezra were the Beltaire Bandits, who were rogues themselves. They were risking their lives in order to stand up for themselves — allowing an easy capture if the decision did not sway in their direction.

I knew I could not jump up during the hearing and announce myself as Nightshade. Such an announcement would not bring the glory I would hope. Instead of aiding in the fight to keep rogues alive, my presence would serve as a distraction as the existence of Nightshade broke many pack laws.

Part of me was sad I did not get adequate time as my Nightshade persona to go around and convince Ezra's allies that rogues in fact deserved to live just as much as they did.

But, I had a better plan up my sleeve.

While it might not have been a smart decision to out myself as Nightshade, I could follow Ezra's lead and out myself as his mate. In doing so, everyone attending the hearing would know we were soulmates, which would make my opposition to the cause have lasting impacts.

I would have to stand up for rogues not as Nightshade but as Alessia Stocklin.

With my plan to help rogues secured, I needed to focus my efforts on killing Ezra. My body grew clammy at the thought of actually killing my mate, but I was left with no choice. The thought did cross my mind: I could tell Ezra about what Elias had backed me into a corner to do. But, at every turn, I saw Ezra's distaste for Apollo. The weight of Apollo's life would mean very little to Ezra, and I could not risk that.

In a stroke of genius thought, I mind linked Link.

Link, can I ask you a favor? I asked.

Sure, what do you need? He responded in an instant.

When you come to Solaris for the party, can you bring me the dress I have hanging up in the back of my closet? It should be the red one? I asked, tucking a stray piece of hair behind my ear.