✦ 02 | Friends

The feeling of being in Hogwarts never ceases to amaze you. It's as though you're a first year all over again. The banquet is delicious and memorable as you remembered. You've watched the first years all be sorted into their homes. The glow in their eyes reminding you of happier times. As the festivities continue on, eventually the head boy and girl of each house is announced. 

You can say they're leaders in a way. Their role being a high authority over prefects. Prefects have the authority to remove house points, monitor halls, give detention for punishment, and much more like giving a tour to the first years of their dormitory. You couldn't handle such an important role. The responsibility seems endless. But surprisingly enough Ron is one of the prefects for the Gryffindor household. 

It's no surprise when you hear Dumbledore announce him as head boy for them as well. Hermione easily is the head girl. Names from each house is announced but you tune them out after hearing your friends name be called. There's a particular voice that screeches in your ears. Lavender Brown is clapping ever so loudly with pride for Ron.

"That's my Ron! I knew you were fit to be our head boy." Lavender says with great excitement. You turn around to look at the table behind you. Ron is flushed in the face with embarrassment after Lavender's statement. Hermione and Harry both holding back their laughter by stuffing their face with dessert. 

"Odd. I didn't know Ron was Lavender's." A sweet dreamy soothing voice perks your ears. You return your attention forward as you drink some butterbeer. Luna Lovegood sets her fork down after finishing her dessert. You feel her eyes stare at your side profile. 

Slowly you look at Luna while you lower your drink down onto the wooden table. "I'm just as surprised as you are Luna." You let out an exasperated sigh with a shrug to your shoulders. You don't have many friends in your house but Luna is one of them. Cho Chang had already graduated so Luna is all you have left. But that didn't bother you.

The two of you share a peculiar friendship. Neither having to say much but understanding one another completely. It's as though you two have been long time friends despite meeting each other for the first time as first years at Hogwarts. Your eyes light up when you remember something. Reaching into your cloak pocket, you unveil a tiny parchment gift and hand it over to Luna. Luna gingerly takes the gift from you with a soft whisper of thank you.

You watch the dirty blonde straggly haired girl untie the ribbon from your present. Her eyes sparkle the moment she sees the content inside the small box. You laid eyes on a mismatch pair of star and moon earrings that reminded you of Luna. The corner of her lips curl into a smile. "It warms my heart that you thought of me on your vacation Y/N. I too thought of you." 

Luna pulls something out of her pocket. You curiously look into her palm to see a potion flask. You raise an eyebrow before raising your eyes up to look at Luna. "What is that?" You question. Luna reaches for your hands and gently places the potion in your palms. 

"Veritaserum. I know you're having trouble confessing your feelings to R--." You quickly hush Luna when you clumsily place the potion into your cloak pocket with wide eyes. Luna's eyes soften as you feel her breath from her giggles against your palm. Slowly you remove your hand away from Luna's mouth. 

You feel the tips of your ears heat up. Words fail you as they're lodged in your throat. You're unsure how Luna managed to make the Veritaserum. It takes about 28 days to concoct and that's if she's done every step correctly. Making the serum takes incredible skill as it's one of the more difficult potions. A potion that forces the drinker to answer any questions put to them truthfully.

The reason you haven't confessed your feelings to Ron is because you feared he won't feel the same way. If you had him take a sip and asked him, the truth will easily be told. But you know truthfully his feelings for you are not one in the same. Otherwise Ron would have that lovey dovey look in his eyes that you've seen many times over when he sees a beautiful girl. Luna gives you a nudge to pull you out of your own thoughts.