𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

This chapter is a flashback chapter based on how Astraea Russ and Greyson Allori met. The flashbacks in this book are crucial to the messages Greyson leaves for Rea. It gives context and meaning to the words he writes. There won't be a lot of flashbacks, but all of them do hold a strong meaning. Thank you and I love you all.

♫ ♫ ♫

Astraea Russo

November 20th, 1992.

Eleven years old.

I shouldn't feel inferior to myself. I blame my father for the never-ending thoughts floating in my mind. He made me feel unwanted. He'd remind me every day that I was the product of a cruel affair. The only person who ever saw me was my stepmom and brother. They're the reason I'm still alive. They give me purpose. They make me feel loved and wanted.

When I'm at school, it feels like an escape from home. It's like a fresh breath of air. I don't fear the taunting voice of my dad in my ear. I block it out with the sound of music flowing through my ears. It gives me clarity when I feel lost. I spend my free time in the library dosing off to music. Occasionally my brother would sit across from me and see if I was alright. I couldn't ask for a better brother. He's like my other half.

Today I've barely had spare time to get close to the library. I'm mentoring an exchange student, Riz Ali. She and I share all the same classes. She is the first friend I made in school who wasn't family. I've known her for almost a month, and we've been inseparable. She and I share the same personality. She lives with her dad and sister in Canada. They moved there from India when she was seven. It was a job opportunity for her mom's clothing line. She's into fashion like her mother. She has a sketchbook filled with designs. She has a gift that I admire. She has an eye for style. She has designed dresses from her family's culture and matching dresses for us on our eighteenth birthday. We're born on the same day of the same year.

May 24th, 1981

We're Gemini twins.

♫ ♫ ♫

I sat in the library with my headphone in. Riz was in math class finishing an exam we had today. I leaned my head back against the bookcase behind me. I felt pulled out of my music as a boy brushed against me. It was as if I wasn't even here. I glanced up at him. He has these green emerald eyes and brunette hair. He had a black beanie covering most of his hair. He had earbuds in her ears. I could tell he was frustrated. He was mumbling under his breath softly.

I took my headphone off and called out, "Excuse me." He ignored me. I sighed, pulling myself onto my feet. I folded my arms and saw as his eyes scanned each book on the shelf. I tapped his shoulder. I waited for a response, but he didn't even flinch. I took a deep breath and asked, "Do you need help finding anything?"

His eyes shot to me. He has bags under his eyes. He turned to me and responded, "I'm all set." I sarcastically admitted, "The frustration in your voice shows that you're all set."

He leaned against the bookshelf. He told me, "I'm not frustrated. I'm tired and in a hurry. I have a project due by the end of this week, and I haven't started." He paused before continuing, "I'm sorry for bumping into you, but I do have to go." He grabbed a book from the shelf and left.

I didn't see him again until my next class. He sat behind Riz. I never noticed him. He knew how to isolate himself and disappear from the world. Before I entered the classroom, I pulled Riz aside and wondered, "Do you know who the boy who sits behind you is?" She took a deep breath. She folded her arms. She answered, "No, but he did move here two months ago. That's all I know." I nodded my head and wrapped my arm around her shoulders.