Chapter 42

Therefore ____________.

Herman's Six Reasons

Reason Number Six

"A blueberry muffin," Zandra says when Darryl asks what she wants for breakfast. She sits on a bench by the sidewalk outside of the Portage County Courthouse. No room in the jail.

"Coffee and cigarettes, too?" Darryl says.

"I'm still breathing, aren't I?" Zandra says.

Just barely.

"I'm sure I can find those," Darryl says before retreating into the courthouse. There's always a muffin tray somewhere on the third floor. Whether the muffins are fresh isn't as certain.

A muffin, coffee and cigarettes won't be enough to pass the time until the court appointment in the afternoon. It's still morning. The local newspaper, still printed daily, could help burn the hours off like the dew on the grass.

Zandra finds a few errant coins on the sidewalk, scraping them into her palm. She shuffles to a gas station across the street from the courthouse. Her ankle begs for a soak in a hot tub, but the best it'll get is a travel-sized tube of ibuprofen and an equally undersized copy of the Stevens Point Journal from the gas station.

This newspaper gets smaller every week. Maybe they'll sell more copies once the new owner comes in. They're going to need one.

The lead story above the fold of the newspaper is as fresh as the morning sun. Zandra reads the headline thrice to make sure she sees it correctly. She hurries back to the bench to read more in private. Even then, Zandra mouths the words to herself to make sure she doesn't miss a single syllable.

I can't believe they printed that. And you know it's true, because they were allowed to print it at all. No more Gene getting in the way.

Zandra reads, "Gene Carey, the Stevens Point man best known as a titan of the insurance industry, died last night of an accidental gunshot wound. The body of Carey, 79, was found on one of his properties, although which one cannot be confirmed as of press time.

"In a media statement to the Stevens Point Journal, the Stevens Point Police Department said it does not suspect foul play or an intentional injury. Carey apparently engaged in target practice with a friend. The friend, who has not yet been identified, was also injured in the arm during the same accident. The injuries to the friend were not life threatening.

"Memorial services will take place in private before a public ceremony is announced."

I won't be attending.

Still glued to the newspaper, Zandra doesn't notice a van slow to a rolling creep alongside the sidewalk. A sliding door opens on the side of the van. Zandra doesn't get a chance to react as dark cloth is wrapped over her eyes. Rough hands cajole her into the van. The sliding door closes, and the van accelerates away from the courthouse.

The hell?

"Glenn? That you?" Zandra says through a cough. Her eyes may be wrapped, but it's her neck that feels squeezed. Her nose still works, though, and she detects the lingering sting of bleach.

That's not alarming at all.

Zandra goes for the knife up her sleeve, but two strong sets of fingers lock her hands against her sides.