The Cat

It's ten in the morning and everyone's sleeping. Last night there was a party to celebrate Greyson's birthday and everyone stayed up late. They had tests that morning that fried their brains and all they wanted to do was go home.

Mr. Blank stands up and rolls his eyes when he sees his class asleep on their desks. He picks up a text book and drops it onto the desk.

Everyone jerks awake.

"What?" Olivia asks as she sits up, rubbing her eyes.

"Why'd you do that, Mr. Coach Blank?" Ann-Kat asks tiredly with a yawn.

"Because you have a test today and you can't take it if you're sleeping."

"Then everyone go back to sleep," Katie-Anne insists and lays her head back down.

"No, then everyone wake up. This is going to be a fun test."

"Well, that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one." Stormie mumbles and a few of them laugh as the teacher rolls his eyes.

"This is a scavenger hunt. I want you all to pair up and then you'll go around the school looking for these items. You have until the end of the hour. Whoever brings them back to me gets an 'A' on one assignment they failed. Everyone else will receive an 'A' for completion." He explains. They still complain of course.

"Why not just give us the 'A' then?" Paola questions.

"Because then you'd like me," he jokes as he passes out papers. "And that's not the point of teaching."

"It is a bonus though," Cooper says.

Mr. Blank laughs as he finishes handing out the worksheets. The class pairs up and then goes searching. They had to find a blade of white grass, a piece of trash, water and put it in a cup, a shiny piece of jewelry, and finally, a piece of rope.

The class is confused by the strange items, but they go searching anyway.

"Okay, so we have the rope, the grass, and the cup. What else?" Jayden asks as she holds a cup of water. Rachel looks down at the list and is about to speak when someone runs by, taking the bag of rope and grass.

"Hey!" She shouts at Grayson as he runs away, laughing. Rachel runs after him, and then Mackenzie and Madeline run after him when he steals their jewelry.

They chase him to the bus ramp where he freezes. They run into him and everyone falls down. Cooper and Katie-Ann run up, curious when they saw girls chasing Grayson.

"Um...what is that?" Katie-Ann whispers in fear.

"I believe that is a leopard," Cooper says mater-of-factually and Katie-Ann hits his arm.

"I know that! What is it doing here?"

"No clue," Rachel squeaks. The wild cat bears its teeth, making a growling sound. The group stays frozen, not sure what to do. Cooper makes the mistake of taking a step back and the leopard attacks him.

Everyone screams as they run away. They go to hide in Mr. Blank's classroom.

"What?" Mr. Blank asks, oblivious.

"There's-There's a," Jayden stutters.

"Leopard!" Ann-Kat screams as she runs in with her best friend beside her.

"Nothing's ever a normal day with you people?" Mr. Blank grumbles. "Where's everyone else?" As soon as he asks, Abdul, Danielle, Louis, and Jack run in, slamming the door shut. Stormie and Cooper are the only ones not there.

Mr. Blank and his students all call 9-1-1 and animal control. The leopard came by some illegal poachers not checking to make sure the animal was dead.

Thankfully, everyone was where they were supposed to be, so no other students got hurt. Mr. Blank didn't even try to do another treasure hunt and whenever he said something would be "fun", the kids rolled their eyes, not believing him.

In this class "fun" always causes trouble. But hopefully one day, it won't.