A Miracle

"So what mess did you cause this time?" Elizabeth asked her lab partner.

He coughed out smoke and glared at her. "Nothing! I was just writing!"

"Writing wouldn't cause a building to blow up Sol," Olive argued. She sighed and walked off with Elizabeth and Sol following. "Come on, we need to find Rain and Annie. They'll know what to-Ah!" She broke off her sentence with a scream as a huge monster stopped her from walking. It looked like a goblin. It was tall, green, bones jutting out of its skin, and had pupil-less, yellow eyes. It bared its sharp teeth at the children, looking hungry.

"Attention, Uriah," a reporter called out over the news screen on the wall. "As you know, the government has been working on creating indestructible soldiers. And our worst nightmares have been realized." As soon as she that, ten kids turned into the green, ugly beasts. "They have succeeded and gotten out. The serum used to create them has infected the air and very few are immune to it. Get somewhere safe, and hide! These things are unsta-" Before she can finish, then green creature appears in the sideways camera. A second later, it goes static before the screen went black.

"Okay maybe it wasn't you." Olive said with a small whimper.

"Ah!" Elizabeth screamed. They looked at her and saw her skin turning green. With a few more grunts and moans, she turns into the beasts that the rest of the kids were. Olive and Sol cowered in fear on the ground, unsure what to do.

Out of nowhere, the creatures crumpled to the ground, holding their heads. They heard a shout and looked to see two girls, one with short, brown hair, holding up a black box, and another with knee-length, braided, dirty-blonde hair. She held up a small pistol aimed at the monsters.

"Come on, hurry," The dirty blond one shouted. Olive and Sol made a run for it. They got to the girls, running towards a small black car. They pushed them into it, locking the doors and taking off. "Take a left here," Annie instructed calmly as she led them towards her house. "I have more guns we can use to defend ourselves."

Rain nodded. "Everyone okay?" The two passengers in the back nodded.

"Anyone know what the hell is going on?" Olive asked rudely.

"Our families and friends are now monsters, and there's a cure in New Jinx, but that's across the kingdom, so it will take a while, and now you're stuck helping us." Rain explained smoothly, sounding like she didn't even care.

"Wow, thanks for the summary," Olive snapped.

"Look, Liv, we don't have a choice." Annie explained as she turned around to face them. "You can stay at my place if you want while we get the cure."

"Excuse me? Nu-uh! I'm your sister, and am supposed to keep you from doing dumb things." Olive argued with crossed arms.

"Hey girls, I'm going to need you to shut up. We got a passenger." Rain said as she pulled to the side of the road. A girl with tan skin was there. "You alright?" She shook her head. "Hop in, we'll give you a ride."  Rain nodded to the back seat and the girl climbed in. "What's your name?"

"Zie," she said softly.

"Well, welcome to the car we're most likely going to die in," Sol said and Olive hit his arm. "What? We all know supers die. Or well, their sidekicks do, and the supers have to live with it."

"Not helping, Sol!" Annie snapped. They pulled up to a small brick house and walked in. Where about fifteen other people were waiting and armed. They were all teenagers like them. Some have knives, others had gun. Everyone had a weapon except for the newcomers. At least until Annie pushed one into their hands.

"Funny how they said it was our generation that'd destroy the world, yet we're the ones who have to save it." Rain chuckled as she put up the black box on a spot in her belt.

"How are you so cool with all this?" Sol asked Rain as he pointed at her. No one had ever personally met her, they've all just heard stories. She was the most popular girl in school and not in a good way. Many just heard that she didn't put up with anything stupid and was the smartest in her classes.

"My dad's a general and my mom's a scientist that works for the government," she answered nonchalantly.

"Well that explains a lot," Olive muttered.

"Everyone ready? Load up!" Annie called out. They returned with a very inaudible "Yeah!" She nodded and gave Rain a fist bump. "Guess we have to save the world then."

"Whoo!" Olive cheered.

"This is gonna be epic!" Sol cheered.

... But was it?