|Naras|

Takes place before the chunin exams.

"Huh?" was all a hella confused Shikamaru could muster at the sight of the Senju heiress in his house, sitting at his dining table talking to his dad like they're best buddies.

"Oh, Shikamaru! Back from your mission huh? Hopefully, Ino didn't bore you to death about that Uchiha." Kiyoshi added the last part while deadpanning.

"Not a fan of Sasuke?" Shikaku asked.

"Ugh, what do they see in him? He holds the same theoretical value as a pawn." This earned a laugh from the Nara clan head. "I see. Ah, Shikamaru, come on sit with us. Don't just stand there."

"Hai. . ." Shikamaru lazily drawled out before taking a seat next to Kiyoshi.

His mother came holding a tea tray and sat next to her husband. "Kiyoshi-Chan, how about you stay with us for dinner, huh? My son could learn from you."

Shikamaru sweatdropped as Kiyoshi internally snickered. Learn from me? What? How to destroy a person with torture? Or with punches?

"Sure, I would love to Yoshino-san. I like your yakitori too much to decline." The Senju smiled at the woman.

Yoshino smiled back then gave a look to both the Nara men, before walking back into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

"Ah, let me help you." Kiyoshi stood up and followed after her.

Shikaku chuckled in a fond way which had Shikamaru confused. That chuckle can't just be for the girl he's known for a few months now, can it?

Noticing his son's confusion, Shikaku waved his hand in front of his face. "She reminds me of her dad, Hideyoshi. We were friends back in the day. They both bear such a resemblance in the personality area, it's laughable. Her mother was. . .a troublesome woman to say the least. All the boys in the academy were scared of her—all but him."

"Just like we are of her?" Shikamaru deadpanned. She gets it from her mom? man women sure are a drag.

The clan head's eyes drooped a bit, "Ah, I guess she is similar to both her parents then." He smiled, looking up. After a few moments, he looked back at the younger Nara. "You should stay close to her, keep your bond strong." 

Shikamaru blinked. "That's a drag, but sure." He knew his dad was the smartest in Konoha so he should just listen to his advice.

Besides, even though the princess was troublesome and scary. . .she was nice to have around.